The "Excellence in University Teaching Award" recognizes a faculty member with a record
of exceptional teaching.
Full-time faculty members with a minimum of three years experience at USM are eligible.
Individuals who receive this award are not eligible for five years, and individuals
who have received two awards are ineligible.
Applicants submit the following:
- a vita
- a two-page (single-spaced) narrative of your teaching philosophy
- student evaluations from the previous two years
- syllabi from at least four courses (preferably from courses during the previous three
- two letters of support from students. Letters of support may be sent to the Office
of the Provost via campus mail to the attention of Allison Gillespie or via email
to allison.gillespieFREEMississippi. Please include the name of the applicant.
- two letters of support from faculty or administrators. Letters of support may be sent
to the Office of the Provost via campus mail to the attention of Allison Gillespie
or via email to allison.gillespieFREEMississippi. Please include the name of the applicant.
- and optional supporting documents (not required) such as, awards won by students,
pretest and post test results, results of students' success on national exams, success
of students obtaining employment or graduate school admission, etc. Graphs and tables
to organize and simplify information are encouraged. (Limit these optional documents
to four pages and remember not to use students' names or EMPLID).
Only complete submissions will be considered by the Faculty Senate Awards Committee.
Submissions that do not adhere to above guidelines will not be considered. The committee's
recommendation will be submitted to the Provost to finalize the process.