James Rawlins, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, School of Polymers and High Performance Materials
TECHNICAL AND RESEARCH INTERESTS
Polymer Science and Engineering; Polymer Design for Thermosetting Systems; Polymer-Coated Surfaces; Compatible and Incompatible Blending in Crosslinked Polymer Systems; Forensic Analysis of Polymers, Coatings, Adhesives, Fibers, and Films; Structure-Property Relationships with Crosslinked Polymer Systems for Molecular Healing; Biobased Raw Material Derivatives and Utilization; Chemical and Biological Agent Permeability with Crosslinked Systems; Nanoencapsulation for Embedded Raw Material Delivery; Emulsion and Miniemulsion Polymerization; Polymeric Photovoltaic Materials; and Polymer Synthesis and Healing via Enzymatic Catalysis.
1. Cure Kinetics of Several Epoxy-Amine Systems at Ambient and High Temperature, Monoj Pramanik, Eric W. Fowler, and James W. Rawlins, Invited by Journal of Coatings Research & Technology, accepted for publication Feb 2014.
2. Another Look at Epoxy Thermosets Correlating Structure with Mechanical Properties, Monoj Pramanik, Eric W. Fowler, and James W. Rawlins, Polymer Engineering and Science, accepted for online publication Feb 2014.
3. Structure-Properties of Stoichiometrically Balanced Epoxy-amine Thermosets, Monoj Pramanik and James W. Rawlins, Invited by Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) Plastic Research Online, 2014, DOI: 10.2417/spepro.005194.
4 .The Use of Fluorescent Probes to Determine Molecular Architecture in Phase Separating Epoxy Systems, Kevin Davis, Dwaine Braasch, Monoj Pramanik, and James W. Rawlins, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, accepted for publication Feb 2014.
5. Biomechanically-driven Mechanical Aging Protocol Selection and Resulting Macro- and Molecular Properties of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) Running Shoe Midsole Foam, Nadine M Lippa, Elise M. Hall, Scott G. Piland, Trent E. Gould, and James W. Rawlins, Invited by The Engineering of Sport 10, accepted for publication 2014.
6. Quantifying the Effects of Accelerated Weathering and Linear Drop Impact Exposures of an American Football Helmet Outer Shell Material, David E. Krzeminski, Dilhan Fernando, Trenton E. Gould, James W. Rawlins, and Scott G. Piland, Proc IMechE Part P: J Sports Engineering and Technology, 2014, 1-17.
7. Effects of Solvent Exposure on Material Properties and Impact Performance of an American Football Helmet Outer Shell Material, D. E. Krzeminski, D. Fernando, J. W. Rawlins, T. E. Gould, and S. G. Piland, accepted by Procedia Engineering, Jan 2014.
8. Formaldehyde-Free Wood Composites from Soybean Protein Adhesive, Richard C. Ferguson, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, James W. Rawlins, and Shelby F. Thames, accepted for publication by Journal of Renewable Materials, Jan 2014.
9. Synthesis and Characterization of a Soybean-oil Based Macromonomer, David Delatte, Ethem Kaya, Laura G. Kolibal, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, accepted for publication Dec 2013.
10. Impact Properties of Thiol-Ene Networks, Olivia D. McNair, Andrew P. Janisse, David E. Krzeminski, Davis E. Brent, Trenton E. Gould, James W. Rawlins, and Daniel A. Savin, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2013, 5, 11004-11013.
11. Emulsion Copolymerization of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers Possessing both Acrylic and Allylic Functionalities, Ethem Kaya, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, David Delatte, James W. Rawlins and Shelby F. Thames, Macromolecular Symposia 2013, 324 (1, Polymer Reaction Engineering VIII), 2013, 95-106.
12. Treatment of Mg Powder with Carbonic Acid and the Effect of Treatment Variables and Treated Mg Ratios on Coating Performance in Salt Spray Tests, Tacibaht Turel, Shashi S. Pathak, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Michael D. Blanton, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 2013, 10(4), 475-483.
13. Vegetable Oil Based Fatty Amide as Hydrophobes in Associative Thickener, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013, 130(3), 1530-1538.
14. Investigation of Linear Impact Energy Management and Product Claims of a Novel American Football Helmet Liner Component, David E. Krzeminski, James T. Goetz, Andrew P. Janisse, Nadine M. Lippa, Trenton E. Gould, Scott G. Piland, and James W. Rawlins, Sports Technology, 2012, 4(1-2) 2011, 65-76, DOI: 10.1080/19346182.2012.691508.
15. The Effect of Accelerated Outdoor Weathering on Impact Performance of an American Football Helmet Outer Shell Material, David E. Krzeminski, Trenton E. Gould, Scott G. Piland, and James W. Rawlins, Procedia Engineering, 2012, 34, 879.
16. Effect of Acid Value on the Esterification Mechanism of Maleinized Soybean Oil with Cotton, Ericka N.J. Ford, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Shelby F. Thames, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 2012, 9:637-641.
17. Magnesium-Based Sacrificial Anode Cathodic Protection Coatings (Mg-rich Primers) for Aluminum Alloys, Shashi S. Pathak, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Michael D. Blanton, and James W. Rawlins, Metals, 2012, 2(3), 353-376.
18. Determination of Epoxy Equivalent Weight of Glycidyl Ether Based Epoxides via Near Infrared Spectroscopy, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, James W. Rawlins, Polymer Testing, 2012, 31, 716-721.
19. Molecular Weight Effects on the Mechanical Properties of Novel Epoxy Thermoplastics, Christine D. Caroselli, Monoj Pramanik, Brandon C. Achord, and James W. Rawlins, High Performance Polymers, 2012, 24(3), 161-172.
20. Disecondary Amine Synthesis and Its Reaction Kinetics with Epoxy Prepolymers, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012, 126(6), 192901940.
21. Spectroscopic Analysis of Cotton Treated with Neutralized Maleinized Soybean Oil, Ericka N.J. Ford, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Shelby F. Thames, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 2011, 88(5), 681-687.
22. Chain Transfer of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers in Acrylic Solution Copolymerization, Micah Black, Jamie Messman, and James Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2011, 120(3), 1390-1396.
23. Influence of Polymer Particle Size on the Percolation Threshold of Electrically Conductive Latex-based Composites, Gregory P. Moriarty, James H. Whittemore, Katherine Ann Sun, James W. Rawlins, and Jaime C. Grunlan, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 2011, 49(21), 1547-1554.
24. Synthesis and Evaluation of Tetra(2,7-octadienyl) Titanate as a Reactive Diluent for Air-drying Alkyd Paints, Alp H. Alidedeoglu, Kevin Davis, Rhonda Robertson, Crystal Smith, James W. Rawlins, and Sarah E. Morgan, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 2010, 8(1), 45-48.
25. Carbonation of Mg Powder to Enhance the Corrosion Resistance of Mg-Rich Primers, Shashi S. Pathak, Michael D. Blanton, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Corrosion Science, 2010, 52(11), 3782-3792.