ORA Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I log into Cayuse 424? — Faculty/staff Principal Investigators and Project Directors can log into 424 at https://usm.cayuse424.com/.

What is Cayuse 424? — Evisions.com describes 424 as an SaaS (Software as a service) system for "cloud-based, automated completion and submission of federal grant proposals, delivered over a secure web connection." Learn more on this off-site webpage (scroll down for details). The University also uses 424, where possible, for a paperless internal approval process, with the ultimate goal of eliminating the Internal Approval Form (IAF) as such — and the need to send or take it to several offices around campus to collect the required signatures.

Who can assist me with using Cayuse 424? — You can contact the ORA administrator assigned to your department.

Where can I find program announcements and solicitations? — ORA assists faculty in finding program announcements through various methods. ORA’s monthly newsletter, the Reporter, contains information on program announcements released during that month; this information is compiled by the Grants Resource Center and specified for Southern Miss faculty and staff. The Pivot database (formerly called "COS") provides the most up to date funding search mechanism for potential PI’s to search for funding in their interest areas. In addition, ORA employs an Information Specialist to assist you in your funding searches. Visit our Funding Opportunities page for more advice.

Where can I find the University ID numbers and other government information my application is asking for? — Some of the more frequently requested information follows. Be sure to contact your ORA Grants Administrator early in the proposal process, to ensure that your application contains accurate information and meets the sponsor's requirements.

  • Applicant Legal Entity: The University of Southern Mississippi
  • Type of Organization: public, nonprofit, educational nonmedical
  • Federal Employer Identification Number: 64-6000818
  • DUNS #: 623335775
  • U.S. Congressional District: 4th
  • MS House District: 104th
  • MS Senate District: 45th
  • County: Forrest

Additional information is available in the ORA Contact Information column at right, and in our Faculty/Staff Resources pages.

What are Facilities and Administrative (F&A) costs (sometimes called indirect costs)? — F&A costs are those related to using and maintaining the facilities where sponsored projects are conducted, and the time and commodities expended by support staff not directly involved in the project. 

What are the University's current facilities and administrative (F&A) cost rates? — The F&A rates are linked through the Forms and Budget page.

How does the University utilize recovered facilities and administrative (F&A) costs? — Recovery of F&A costs partially reimburses the University for actual costs related to supporting sponsored projects. A portion of the F&A costs recovered is distributed to the principal investigator's home department to underwrite project development costs. Each department establishes its own criteria for handling these funds, so faculty/staff are encouraged to understand their departmental policies as well. F&A cost recovery is also used by the Vice President for Research to offset any cost-sharing required by the sponsor. These funds also provide for internal development efforts through the VPR's office that enhance the University's research capability. Here's how the funds are distributed:

  • 10% — Department
  • 10% — College 
  • 40% — General Fund
  • 40% — Vice President for Research

What are the current fringe benefit rates? — See full- and part-time fringe rates on the Fringe Benefits page. This information is also available through the University Budget Office.

The agency only has $50,000 available for my project, but I need $75,000 to do the work. What can I do? — 
It is recommended that you reduce the scope of work to a level that can be supported by the amount of agency funds available. It is university policy to include only the amount of cost sharing in the project budget that is required by the agency.

What internal forms do I need in order to submit my proposal? — 
Your proposal must be submitted with a completed Internal Approval Form (IAF) as well as any compliance forms necessary for your specific project. These forms are available on our Forms and Budget page.

How many days do you need to review my proposal? — 
We ask that you present your proposal and budget for review at least 5-10 days prior to the deadline. However, you are encouraged to inform your grants administrator as soon as you decide to apply for a specific grant. We would like you to give us as much time as possible to review the proposal in order to insure that your proposal is submitted properly and on time.

Who is responsible for copying and mailing a hard-copy proposal? — ORA will copy and mail or ship the completed proposal.

How do I know who my grants administrator is? — 
Our grants administrators are assigned to specific departments, centers, or units. If you do not know who your department's grants administrator is, you can refer to our pre- and post-award staff lists and click the "PAM Teams & Assigned Areas" link below the lists; or contact our office at sponsoredprograms@usm.edu or 601-266-4119. Someone will be happy to assist you.

Who is responsible for reports to the funding agency concerning my grant? — Most grants require two different types of reports: financial reports and technical reports. PIs should work with ORA's contract and grants accountants to insure the accuracy of financial reports. Technical reports must be completed by the PI and submitted to the agency based on agency guidelines. In addition, a copy of these reports must be sent to ORA. Also, ORA is happy to make copies of the reports and forward them to the funding agency for the PI.