University of Southern Mississippi Research
The University of Southern Mississippi continues to meet head-on the intellectual and human issues of the day. The challenges are formidable, and university professors and students are tackling the issues through relevant research that translates into real-world applications and learning opportunities.
At The University of Southern Mississippi, researchers are creating new knowledge that directly impacts society by
- Monitoring the health of the ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico and impacts of the BP oil spill
- Offering solutions for the safety and security for sports stadiums and arenas that have been identified as potential targets of terrorism
- Developing strategies for management, conservation and repopulation of marine species commonly used as food resources throughout the world
- Implementing educational programs designed to deal with nutrition, obesity, diabetes and autism in Mississippi
- Creating in our polymer science program new polymer materials used in everyday products such as cosmetics, ship building and sports equipment
- Gathering statistical data to improve weather forecasting models in the Gulf of Mexico
- Refining devices to detect airborne pathogens used by first responders
- Designing forensic technology to rehydrate degraded fingerprints
- Developing an airborne laser instrument for mapping coastal areas
Bolstered by $73 million in external funding during the 2014-15 fiscal year, support for USM research has increased substantially during the past decade and annually sustains a variety of robust research projects.
From the humanities to the sciences, faculty members are awarded highly competitive funding from prestigious federal agencies including the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Department of Homeland Security and the National Endowment for the Arts.
As a comprehensive Carnegie research university, USM is committed to creating a culture that nurtures and supports a rich and innovative environment where students and faculty are making a difference in the world around them.