The Department of Psychology at The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) offers graduate training in School Psychology, which is accredited by the American Psychological Association’s (APA; Education Directorate; Program Consultation & Accreditation; 750 First Street NE; Washington, DC 20002; Phone:  336-5979; Fax:  336-5978; email@example.com) Commission on Accreditation. Furthermore, the School Psychology program is part of the Professional Education Unit at Southern Miss, which is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Our program is modeled after the licensure requirements in the State of Mississippi. We do not guarantee that we meet the licensure requirements of other states. You will be responsible for verifying that your program of study meets your desired state’s licensure requirements.
The focus of the School Psychology program at USM is the preparation of doctoral level students. Students are admitted with the expectation that they will complete the doctoral degree program. Post-bachelor's degree students first complete a Master's degree, including an empirical thesis, en route to the doctorate. Pending satisfactory progress on course work and the thesis, students can expect to continue to the doctoral degree plan. Students may also be admitted to the School Psychology Program at the post-master's degree level.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Broad training in empirically-based problem-solving skills, essential for assuming the diverse roles of School Psychologists today and in the future
- Specialized training in behavior analytic theory and practice
- Extensive supervised field- and clinic-based training through our on-campus clinic and area schools
- Opportunities for supervised practica in other community settings including developmental disability facilities and early intervention centers.
- APA accredited and NASP approved training program
- Recently (2007) ranked 9th in the nation for faculty publication rates among School Psychology Programs
- Approximately 91% APA-accredited internship placement in last 7 years
- 100% pass rate on the BCBA exam in last 7 years