Scholarships are available for qualified applicants who are either current students or newly entering freshmen or transfer students. Scholarships fall into several different categories each with their own deadlines and application process. You are urged to apply for all scholarships for which you may be eligible.
College of Science and Technology Scholarship Coordinator
- USM Foundation Scholarships – Go to the website usmfoundation.com/go to apply for these scholarships. Application Deadline February 15. These are scholarships funded by donors to the USM Foundation. Almost every department or school in the College of Science and Technology has scholarships for students through the USM Foundation. In addition, there are some general College of Science and Technology scholarships for students through the USM Foundation. Some of the general scholarships are for applicants from any area of the College of Science and Technology and some are more specific such as scholarship opportunities for premedical or predental students. Students must meet the criteria of the fund and many are based on student achievement or need. Fund availability varies each year for each scholarship. The application process is that students fill out one application through the USM Foundation and it matches applicants to the Foundation scholarships in which they may be eligible. The College of Science and Technology departments and schools or the college’s Scholarship Committee then determines from the list of eligible applicants who will receive the USM Foundation scholarship awards. For USM Foundation Scholarships only students receiving the scholarship awards will be notified. Every effort is made to award scholarships in a timely manner, usually 8-10 weeks after the deadline, so please be patient. If you have not been contacted by June 1, you may E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for results. Please do not call.
- Freshman Scholarships – Go to the website www.usm.edu/undergraduate-scholarships. These scholarships are usually handled through the USM admissions or financial aid process.
- Transfer Scholarships – Go to the website www.usm.edu/undergraduate-scholarships. These scholarships are usually handled through the USM admissions and financial aid process for transfer.
- Federal Assistance – Go to the website www.usm.edu/financial-aid to apply for Federal Student Aid. This is usually handled as part of the USM admissions or financial aid process.
- State Assistance for Mississippi Residents – Go to the website www.riseupms.com/state-aid or to www.usm.edu/financial-aid to apply for state assistance and the Mississippi Tutition Assistance Grant (MTAG) or the Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MSEG). This is usually handled as part of the USM admissions or financial aid process.
- National Scholarships Opportunities (e.g. Goldwater, Marshall, Rhodes, Truman, etc.)
For National Scholarship opportunities and assistance please contact:
Robyn Elaine Curtis
The Office of Nationally Competitive Awards, Director
118 College Drive #5162
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Office Phone: 601.266.4533
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9 a.m.-4 p.m.