Travel Documentation

A U.S. driver’s license is not enough for international travel. You will need a Passport (book – not a passport card).

Your passport must be valid for at least six months following the date of return from abroad. 

If you don’t have a passport: don’t wait until the last minute to apply for one! Visit the U.S. State Department’s website for detailed information on how, where and when to apply for a passport. If you end up in a jam, and need to secure a passport quickly, it is possible to go to a passport agency in person and get a passport that same day, but it will cost you more.

If you do have a passport: your passport must be valid for at least SIX months after you return date, so check the expiration date to make sure it is VALID.

Visas: This pertains mostly to international exchange program participants but might pertain to short-term program participants also, it depends on the country to which you travel and the amount of time you plan to stay there. In all cases the specifics of whether you need to pursue a visa will be mentioned in your program handbook – which is why it is vital that you READ it when our office emails that to you.

International Exchange Program participants should consult their handbook and all online information pertaining to documentation required to participate and travel abroad to the host institution. In many cases additional documentation will be required.