Guide to University Offices

Southern Miss has lots of offices on campus that play important roles in helping students have a successful college experience. Here's a list of what and where they are and what they can do to help you.


 Student ActivitiesUndergraduate Studies



Where to Go

What to Expect 

 Financial Aid

Not Meeting SAP Hold

Tuition Information


Pell Grants

Student Loans

Work Study 


Financial Aid

Kennard-Washington Hall 101




Gulf Park Campus Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office
Hardy Hall 230 

The Office of Financial Aid has a team of financial aid counselors who are experts in helping students find money for college. When you visit the office, whether you're already a student at Southern Miss or hoping to become one, a counselor will sit down with you to discuss your options. Most students qualify for at least some financial aid; to determine eligibility before you visit, all students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Filling out the form will not obligate you to accept any loans, even if you are eligible. 


 Registrar's Office   

Academic Calendar

Schedule Guides

Transcript Requests

Enrollment Problems

Enrollment Verification

FERPA (Privacy)

GPA Calculator

Graduation Information


(Enrolling in Classes)  

Registrar's Office

Kennard-Washington Hall, 1st floor



The Registrar's Office is in charge of scheduling, student transcripts, issues of enrollment, and much more. They have an excellent website that will answer most of your questions, but if you are having particular problems enrolling or accessing your SOAR account, you can always call or visit the office in Kennard-Washington Hall for help.

Gulf Coast Students should direct inquiries to the Registrar’s Office in Hattiesburg.



Commencement Info

Graduation Ceremony

Commencement (HBG)

Commencement (GC) 

For answers to all your questions about this semester's graduation ceremony, visit our Commencement website.  


 Exploratory Studies  

Choosing a Major

Undeclared Majors 

Exploratory Studies 


Harkins Hall 225



If you're not sure what you want to major in, Undergraduate Studies is a great place to land your first year. You can complete your core classes that will count towards all majors, and the advisors in Undergraduate Studies will help you explore your options and choose the perfect major. (Note that you must have a declared major by the end of your sophomore year.)

You will also take academic courses designed specifically for new students. These courses are intended to facilitate students’ transition to university life.


 Veterans' Affairs   

Veterans' Affairs

VA Benefits

Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families

Bagby House


Gulf Park Campus Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office 
Hardy Hall 230 

If you are a veteran, The University of Southern Mississippi would like to thank you for your service to our nation and willingness to make a difference on behalf of all citizens of the United States of America. The Veteran's Center assists veterans with everything from finding scholarships to writing resumes to finding the perfect job after graduation. Please visit the Center at Bagby House on 3503 Morningside Drive for more information.


 Residence Life

Housing Options

Apply for Housing

Roommate Issues

Room Change

Rules for Living on Campus 


Residence Life

Hickman Hall



Res-Life on Facebook


The Department of Residence Life at Southern Miss offers a safe place for students to live, while making the most of their social and academic lives. Living on campus is convenient and is a great way to get involved! Visit the Residence Life website to view video tours of on-campus housing options, download a printable Residence Life Handbook, or learn more about on-campus living.

Southern Miss does not maintain student residences on the Gulf Coast.



Wi-Fi Issues

SOAR Password


Eagle Alert

Telephone Services 

iTech Help Desk

Cook Library, 1st floor


iTech is responsible for the technology on campus, and they can help you with password problems, wifi activation, email issues, and on-campus telephone service. Visit the help desk on the first floor of Cook Library, view tutorials on the iTech webpage, or call 266-HELP for assistance. 

Gulf Coast students needing assistance with technology on campus should call the iTech Help Desk in Hattiesburg. 

  Student Employment

On-campus Jobs

Off-campus Jobs

Summer Jobs

Tips on Getting a Job 

Student Employment

McLemore Hall 301


Gulf Coast Office of Student Life
Hardy Hall 240 


Student Employment is the place to go if you're looking for a job while you're a student. They maintain an online database called Eagle Employment which is only available to Southern Miss students. It lists jobs both on and off campus. You can also post your resume on Eagle Employment for viewing by potential employers. Some on-campus job require you to have work-study funding, a need-based federal grant; to find out if you're eligible, visit Financial Aid in Kennard-Washington Hall.


  Career Services

Career Counseling

Resume Help

Cover Letter Development

Practice Interviews

Career Fairs and Workshops 

Career Services

McLemore Hall 125


Gulf Coast Office of Student Life 
Hardy Hall 240 

You want to have a great career one day, so why not start planning now?  Career Services is here to help you from your first semester at Southern Miss—you can start building your resume, learning about yourself and your career possibilities, and find out about careers you never even heard of. As you get closer to graduation, they can help you with mock job interviews and writing letters of application.



  Eagle Dining

Meal Plans

Hours and Locations

Eagle Dining

Thad Cochran Center, Ground Floor


Meal Plans


Eagle Dining runs all the food services on campus: Fresh Food CompanyPower HouseP.O.D. Express (Century Park, LAB, Scianna Hall and Thad Cochran Center locations)RFoC at Hillcrest, Starbucks, Freshens, and Seymour's in Hattiesburg and Beach View Cafe on the Gulf Coast.

Eagle Dining offers a variety of meal plans to meet your needs. If you need help deciding which plan is right for you, call the Eagle Dining Meal Plan Advisors at 601.266.5376.

For dining on the Gulf Park Campus visit the Beach View Café in Hardy Hall.


Disability Accommodations   

Learning Disabilities

Physical Disabilities

Temporary Injuries


Office of Disability Accommodations (HBG)

Bond Hall, 1st Floor


Office of Disability Accommodations (GC) 
Hardy Hall 232 



The University of Southern Mississippi is committed to making sure that students with disabilities get the help they need to be successful. Whether you need extra time to take tests, someone to provide you with notes from your classes, or textbooks in an alternative format, ODA can help.

If you have a disability, your first step is to register with the Office for Disability Accommodations. They have lots of resources to help, and will contact your professors and explain to them the specific accommodations that you need. (Please note that your professors are not legally able to provide you with accommodations if you have not registered with ODA.) You will need to provide ODA with documentation of your disability. If you don't have documentation, the staff at ODA will walk you through the steps you need to go through to get appropriate documentation.

Gulf Coast students may reach the Office for Disability Accommodations at 228.214-3232.

  Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity

Equal Opportunity Employment

Discrimination Complaints 

Affirmative Action & Equal Employment Opportunity 

McLemore Hall, 3rd Floor 


Southern Miss strictly prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, gender identity, genetic information, religion, race, color, national origin or veteran status by any university employee. If you believe you've been the victim of discrimination, you should file a complaint form with the Office of Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity. Complaint forms are available in the AA/EEO office,  McLemore 310 on the Hattiesburg campus. For more information on the AA/EOE complaint procedure, please visit the Office of Affirmative Action & Equal Employment Opportunity's website.



  Image Center

Student IDs




Passport Photos 

Event Photography 

Image Center

Thad Cochran Center, ground floor







These days, image is everything. The Southern Miss Image Center has what you need to take your educational and professional experience to the top!

Southern Miss’ Copy Services and Photo Services work together in our state-of-the-art Image Center, located on the Ground Floor of the Thad Cochran Center. The Image Center offers the same quality copy and photo services and quick turn-around in one convenient location. In addition, the Image Center also provides new services capable of fulfilling and enhancing your copying and photographic needs.


  Parking Management 

Parking Maps

Parking Decals

Parking Tickets

Visitor Parking  

Parking Management

McLemore Hall

Parking Maps


Parking Permits

Visitor Parking Passes 

Gulf Park Campus Parking Management

The Southern Miss campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach have different parking zones designated for faculty/staff, commuters, and open parking for students. View the map to find the closest parking to your destination. All vehicles on both campuses must be registered (even if you're only visiting for a day). Click the register link to register to park your car on campus. If you plan to have a visitor, click the visitor link for information on how your visitor can obtain a special visitor parking pass.


  Business Services

Billing Issues

Tuition Payments

Course Fees


SOAR Account Holds 

Go Gold Cards 

Business Services

Forrest County Hall, 1st floor


Gulf Park Campus Business Services
Hardy Hall 231



Business Services is responsible for all university billing. If you have questions about your bill, need to make a payment or inquire about a refund, or have questions about your Go Gold card, Business Services is here to help.

If a Business Services hold has been placed on your account for non-payment of tuition or fees, you may contact them to find out the minimum payment due to have the hold removed.


  Health Services



Birth Control

Quitting Smoking

Alcohol/Drug Dependency


STD Testing

Allergy Shots

Pregnancy Tests 

Health Services

Moffitt Health Center

Scott Hall (Century Park South)


Gulf Park Campus Health Center 
117 Beach Park Place

All Southern Miss students are eligible to receive health care at the Moffitt Health Center on campus. There is a $15.00 co-pay per visit, and there will be additional charges for tests, treatments, and medications. All charges can be charged to your student account. Bring your student ID and insurance information with you to the clinic when you go for your appointment. You can make an appointment online or by calling 601.266.5390, and although appointments are encouraged, the clinic will take walk-ins.


 Counseling Services



Eating Disorders


Substance Abuse

Student Counseling Services

Kennard-Washington Hall 200


Make an Appointment

Gulf Park Campus Health Center 
117 Beach Park Place 

Student Counseling Services at Southern Miss offers students up to six free, confidential appointments per semester, where you'll have a chance to talk to someone with lots of experience dealing with the types of issues students face, both academic and personal. Counselors can help with not only  depression and anxiety, but will also talk with you about family problems, motivation and time management, homesickness, alcohol and drug problems, eating disorders, discrimination and anything else that's bothering you. 

Gulf Coast students seeking mental health services should contact the Gulf Park campus Health Center where a licensed clinical social worker is available one day each week.


Office of Leadership and Student Involvement

Getting involved

Student organizations

Leadership development

Feeling alone or disconnected on campus


Leadership and Student Involvement  

SA HUB 110 in the Union Complex


Email OLSA

The Office of Leadership and Student Involvement exists to help students connect to organizations and opportunities on campus. There are over 200 ways to get involved on campus. Student activities ambassadors are a student-led group eager to schedule an involvement consultation appointment with you to help you get plugged in on campus! Come hang out in the Student Activities Hub and connect with our staff! We’d love to see you!