About this Bachelor's Degree
The Industrial Engineering Technology (IET) program is to produce graduates who can easily make the transition from the university to planning and supervisory positions in the workforce, particularly that of the industrial sector, including manufacturing and service industries. In light of this, courses are infused with industrial applications and students are required to study problems identified in local industries. In their senior project course, students frequently interface with local industry and, under the guidance of faculty, analyze and solve problems that have real-world applications.
Program Educational Objective
Graduates possess the necessary skills, critical thinking, discipline and work ethics consistent with the expectations of employers to enter entry level planning and supervisory positions in manufacturing and service industries. Specific program education objectives are as follows;
- Apply systems approach to industrial engineering technology problems.
- Know how to use current tools and technology to perform discipline-specific functions effectively.
- Assess, analyze, benchmark, and improve systems & processes.
- Work effectively with multidisciplinary teams and communicate proficiently.
The IET Program Educational Objectives are consistent with the overall Mission of the Institution by supporting the standards of excellence for our graduates. Students graduating from the program become well-read, articulate, and creative and critical thinkers measured by their display of specialized knowledge and abilities. The program reinforces the application of basic and applied research findings, creative expression, effective communication; meaningful learning experiences, and responds to and anticipates the evolving demands of our society, employers, and the labor market.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- IET students will have an ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of their disciplines to broadly-defined engineering technology activities. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'a')
- IET students will have an ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'b')
- IET students will have an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'c')
- IET students will have an ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to program educational objectives. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'd')
- IET students will have an ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'e')
- IET students will have an ability to identify, analyze, and solve broadly-defined engineering technology problems. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'f')
- IET students will have an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'g')
- IET students will have an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'h')
- IET students will have an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'i')
- IET students will have a knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'j')
- IET students will have a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement. (ETAC-ABET General Criteria 'k')
- IET graduates must demonstrate the ability to accomplish the integration of systems using appropriate analytical, computational, and application practices and procedures. (ETAC-ABET Program Specific Criteria 'a')
- IET graduates must demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge of probability, statistics, engineering economic analysis and cost control, and other technical sciences and specialties necessary in the field of industrial engineering technology. (ETAC-ABET Baccalaureate Degree Program Specific Criteria 'b')
- The Industrial Engineering Technology program will use the "retention of all students enrolled by academic program" data available on the Institutional Research website to track the percentage of students retained or graduated 1 year later. Retention data will include both "retained in original academic program" and "degree already awarded in original program" data. (SACS Requirement for Student Achievement).