About this Bachelor's Degree
The sport business industry is one of the largest, fastest-growing and most popular industries in the United States — boasting an economic magnitude of more than $400 billion. As a result, sport organizations are continually searching for tomorrow’s leaders with specialized training. The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) Sport Management program prepares students for management and leadership positions with professional sport teams, intercollegiate and interscholastic athletics, university recreation programs, and amateur athletic organizations. This is accomplished through a combination of required business core courses, sport management courses, and experiential components.
Sport management courses include marketing, sales, financial planning, venue and event management, security and legal issues, and leadership principles. In addition, students are required to complete a practicum or internship course during the program that provides real world experience. Students also have the opportunity to join the Sport Management Club which offers educational, social, and practical experiences. Specifically, students will network with professionals in similar fields through facility and event visits, guest lectures, and volunteer services.
The USM Sport Management program is nationally and internationally recognized throughout the academic and industry communities. Our faculty have experience in international sport and education, and have worked with organizations such as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, MLS, PGA, NASCAR, and FIFA. Our program also offers credit-earning study abroad opportunities in the United Kingdom, Asia, and South America.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- Demonstrate content knowledge related to the study of sport management, including principles of management and leadership, marketing, facility and event management, risk management, and financial planning.
- Identify and address legal and security issues in the sport industry.
- Utilize critical thinking skills in analyzing sport management issues.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, both orally and written.
- Demonstrate a mastery of practical skills necessary for a career in sport management.