The University of Southern Mississippi is proud of our academic tradition of excellence. Accreditations by national and regional authorities validate our quality and dedication to teaching excellence. Accreditation signifies that an institution has a purpose appropriate to higher education and has resources, programs and services to accomplish and sustain that purpose.
Overall, accreditation enhances educational quality throughout the nation by ensuring that institutions meet standards established by the higher education community.
Southern Miss is committed to sustaining our tradition of integrity and quality enhancement – these tenets are the foundation of our operations of teaching, public service, research and learning.
The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor’s, master’s, specialist’s and doctoral degrees. The accreditation of all campuses related to The University of Southern Mississippi is dependent on the continued accreditation of the parent campus.
All campus sites, regardless of location or mode of delivery, are incorporated in the institution’s self-assessment and its determination of compliance with the standards.
Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097; or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of The University of Southern Mississippi.
Individuals may contact the Commission on Colleges to address questions concerning the accreditation status of The University of Southern Mississippi, to file a third-party comment at the time of the university's 10-year review in 2016, or to file a complaint against the university for alleged non-compliance with an accreditation standard or requirement.
Inquiries about admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc. should be directly addressed to the appropriate offices of The University of Southern Mississippi.
Below are the names and links of other accrediting agencies:
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC)
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Paralegals Approval Commission (ABA)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Committee on Professional Training (CPT)
- American Council for Construction Education (ACCE)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Commission on Accreditation (CoA)
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB – International)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
- Commission for Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Committee on Accreditation (COA) of the American Library Association (ALA)
- Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)
- Council for Accreditation of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
- Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA)
- Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT)
- Council on Education of the Deaf (CED)
- Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Commission on Accreditation (COA)
- Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission (ETAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)
- National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST)
- National Council for Accreditation of Coaching Education [Level 3] (NCACE)
- Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP)