Some of the most promising events involving the BSLC are the summer science camps. The science camps are week-long events designed to expose grade school students to many dimensions and fields of science.
Two types of camps are typically held:
CAMP INVENTION: All NEW activities for 2014
The University of Southern Mississippi Camp Invention
- Biological Sciences Learning Center, Hattiesburg, MS 39406
June 2 - 6, 2014 | 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Awaken your child's creative genius.
- Give your child an enriching experience they will love!
- Participants will become investigators, engineers, and scientists while creating inventions to solve exciting challenges.
- Experiment with STEM concepts (science, technology, engineering, and math) in four fun hands-on modules each day, presented by local teachers.
The Camp Invention program focuses on brain-powered activities and powerful projects thatenhance creativity, teamwork, and inventive-thinking skills.
Children entering grades one through six have fun as they participate daily in five activity-oriented modules promoting science, math, history, and the arts through creative problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Camp Invention is a weeklong summer enrichment program that partners with schools across the country to reinforce the traditional school year with science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities through inquiry-based, hands-on activities.
- Taught by local educators, each Camp Invention program consists of five modules, which comprise 32.5 hours of programming.
- Typically delivered in five consecutive 6.5-hour days, all five modules align with national and state education standards and are designed to meet the needs of varying age groups through primary and intermediate activities.
Camp Invention 2014: Morphed!
- Get ready to explore the dynamic realm of the five senses on a bionic adventure. Join a research team and unlock clues to uncover nature’s blueprints, which hold the key to superhuman senses. Build STEM skills while developing bionic gadgets and exploring sensory illusions. Shoot information down zip-lines to a bionic brain in a final challenge to decode a mega-sensory mix-up. Amplify your senses in this sensational module!
I Can Invent: Pinbug™
- Take apart electronics to build an epic, insect themed pinball machine. Use tools to uncover mechanical guts and upcycle them into bumpers, targets and scoreboards. Angle your way into pinball physics, anatomy and math by propelling the ball onto the playfield with the ultimate DIY cardboard launcher and insect leg flippers to rack up points and win the Pinbug Jackpot.
Design Studio: Morphed!™
- Invent and tinker with circuits and design solutions to nature-based challenges in this participant-led module. Children work together as entrepreneurs, team leaders, and designers as they prepare to bring their invention to market in an environment modeled after real-world research and development spaces. Set your imagination free with video messages from inventors from the National Inventors Hall of Fame and the Collegiate Inventors Competition.
- Build morphing vehicles that operate on land, in the air and underwater. Utilize nature’s blueprints to explore energy, fuel, movement, and animal features, then apply these discoveries to motor-powered vehicles, in preparation for the Super Go Road Rally. Build ramps, tunnels and high-speed STEM skills that put you on the fast track to success.
- Sprint, slither and soar through Energized, tapping into nature’s fascinating creatures and features to revolutionize recess. Propel through high-energy games that morph teambuilding skills while engaging in strategic thinking and physical fun. This unit boosts self-confidence and encourages creative problem solving, while building 21st Century skills. Curiosity is sparked with a line-up of physical games that enrich and energize.
Participants are divided into age-appropriate groups assigned an enthusiastic counselor to oversee and help engage them in the week’s activities.
Qualified, local educators facilitate the curricula, ensuring that a staff-to-child ratio of 1:8 is always maintained. Each day of the program week, children rotate through five integrated modules that employ creative thinking to solve real-world challenges.
Children learn vital 21st century life skills such as problem solving and teamwork through imaginative play. The program is directed by a Southern Miss biology educator, Michael Sellers, and taught by local top-notch educators.
Register today! Visit the Camp Invention website.
For more information or to register: Go to www.campinvention.org or call 1-800-968-4332.
2014 Camp Survivor
- June 15 – 20, 2014 | Rising 8th – 12th Graders
- June 22 – 27, 2014 | Rising 4th – 7th Graders
Survivor participants will engage in different activities focused on a wide variety of nature and science topics.
CAMP SURVIVOR 2014 REGISTRATION FORM: usmsurvivor_2014_regform.pdf
Encourage your child interested in science:
This is your chance to encourage your child who is interested in the natural sciences to attend an exciting summer program where they will gain leadership skills, take part in friendly competition and get a head start on preparing for college.
Registration for 2014 Survivor:
To register for our summer camp, please complete the registration form and return it by June 2, 2014.
Send registration form to:
- J. Michael Sellers, usm Dept of Biological Sciences
- 118 College Drive #5018, Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
The total cost of the program will include:
- a t-shirt,
- recreational activities and
- limited accidental insurance.
Early Bird Discount: $AVE
Register by May 1, 2014 to receive a $15 discount.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (601) 266.6374.
For more information:
Please contact Michael Sellers at email@example.com
Survivor 2013 | Young Naturalist Camp
Survivor 2012 | Young Naturalist Camp included hiking, zoo visits, and more.
Survivor 2011 | Forensic Files
Camp Invention 2012 | Envision
In this 2012 program, children experienced five different modules.