The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries are committed to providing an environment for the university community that is conducive to academic research and study.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
This policy is required for the effective communication of the university policy regarding behavior in the university libraries.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All patrons of the University Libraries.
Website Address for this Policy
In order to provide an environment that meets the diverse needs of students, faculty, and staff, the following guidelines apply:
- University Libraries users should conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful of the needs and rights of others.
- University Libraries do not maintain absolute quiet in high traffic areas, but excessive or disruptive noise will not be tolerated. Please practice common courtesy with conversation levels, cell phone ringers, sounds emanating from devices, music in headphones, and other potentially disruptive noises.
- Quiet zones are available for those who prefer a quieter study environment. See the Quiet Study Zone Policy for details.
- Consumption of tobacco, alcohol, or illegal substances inside library buildings or directly outside building entrances will not be tolerated.
- Disorderly, disruptive, suspicious, or threatening behavior, such as engaging in unwanted or inappropriate interactions with library users or employees, making threats to the personal safety of library users or employees, or committing violent acts will not be tolerated.
- Sexual offenses, including indecent exposure, inappropriate sexual advances (physical or verbal), or contributing to a sexually harassing environment will not be tolerated.
- Violations of local, state, federal, or international law will not be tolerated.
- Suspicious behavior, which might include loitering or watching library users or employees or their belongings will not be tolerated.
- All use of University Libraries’ computers must comply with the university’s Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy.
- Children under 15 must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times. Please refer to the Children in University Libraries Facilities Policy for details.
Violations of this policy should be reported to a library staff member at the nearest service desk. Individuals who do not comply with University Libraries policies may be asked to leave the library building. In some cases, University Police may be called to take charge of a situation involving non-compliance with library or university policies, or local, state, federal, or international law.
- Use of scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, skates, or other conveyances (except those assisting persons with disabilities) inside library buildings or directly outside building entrances is not permitted.
The Dean of University Libraries is responsible for the review of this policy every four years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
Cell Phone Policy: www.usm.edu/institutional-policies/policy-acaf-lib-002
Quiet Study Zone Policy: www.usm.edu/institutional-policies/policy-acaf-lib-006
Children in University Libraries Facilities Policy: www.usm.edu/institutional-policies/policy-acaf-lib-003
Technology Acceptable Use Policy: www.usm.edu/institutional-policies/policy-acaf-it-010
Amendments: Month, Day, Year – summary of changes
02/18/13: Formatted for template. Minor editing throughout.04/26/13 – modified to include appropriate use of mobile phones; modified to include more detail on suspicious behavior.
08/01/13: Modified to include prohibited use of scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, skates, or other conveyances.