POLICY GOVERNING USE AND OPERATION OF NON-CONVENTIONAL MODES OF TRANPORTATION
This policy establishes operational guidelines for the use and operation of nonconventional modes of transportation on the campus of The University of Southern Mississippi and establishes equipment needs, both required and optional, regarding these modes of transportation.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to establish operational guidelines for the use and operation of nonconventional modes of transportation on the campuses of The University of Southern Mississippi and to establish equipment needs, both required and optional, regarding these modes of transportation.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All members of The University of Southern Mississippi community.
Website Address for this Policy
- windshield (required for golf carts, optional on all others)
- flashing yellow caution light affixed to top or above roof (required)
- rearview mirror (required)
- headlights and rear lights/reflectors (optional for daytime use only, required for nighttime operation)
- reflective triangular placard for equipment (required)
- horn (optional)
- weather enclosure (optional)
9. Limit operators of nonconventional modes of transportation to personnel who have a valid driver’s license.
10. Limit capacity of the cart to manufacturer’s specifications.
11. Driver and passenger(s) are to remain seated at all times while moving and keep hands and feet inside at all times.
12. When reversing, make sure to look behind you before doing so.
13. When leaving the transportation unattended, remove the key and set the parking brake at all times.
14. Stop transportation completely before exiting.
All current employees and new hires whose job descriptions allow use of nonconventional modes of transportation will submit information to the University Police Department for a driver’s license check for validation. Employees will read and then sign that they understand the policy regarding the use of nonconventional modes of transportation.Violations of this policy will be forwarded to the appropriate college dean or department director with whom the nonconventional mode of transportation is assigned. All disciplinary action will be handled in accordance with The University of Southern Mississippi disciplinary policy.
The Director of Parking Management is responsible for the review of this policy every four years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
Amendments: Month, Day, Year – summary of changes
02/22/13: Formatted for template. Minor editing throughout.
06/27/13: Reviewed for upcoming year.
07/09/14: Reviewed for upcoming year.
07/15/15: Reviewed for upcoming year.