The university has established a speaker’s corner for speech purposes.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
This policy is required for the effective communication of university policy regarding speakers on campus.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All members of The University of Southern Mississippi community.
Website Address for this Policy
- The University of Southern Mississippi will provide a speaker's corner on the Union Plaza, located at the south end of the R.C. Cook University Union. Individuals or organizations may utilize the speaker's corner for speech purposes on a first-come, first-served basis and without making reservations. However, no amplification equipment may be used and no structure(s) may be erected. The free expression of views and opinions either by individuals or by groups must not violate any rights of others, disrupt the normal function of the university, or violate any of the provisions specified in the University Code of Student Conduct.
- A request to allow an off-campus speaker (one who is neither an employee nor a student at this institution) to address a group on campus will be considered when made by a student organization officially recognized by the Student Activities office.
- No such speaker will be allowed to address a group on the campus without prior written approval by the assistant director of Student Activities or his or her designated representative.
- Any speaker request shall be made by submitting an Event Request form to the Student Activities office in accordance with the Student Activities request form deadline.
- Any speaker request made in accordance with these guidelines by a recognized organization may be denied only if the assistant director of Student Activities or his or her designated representative determines, after proper inquiry, that the proposed speech would constitute an immediate and serious danger to the institution's orderly operation by the speaker's incitement of such actions as:
Where the request for an off-campus speaker is denied, any sponsoring organization thereby aggrieved may, upon written application to the Union and Programs director, obtain a hearing within 72 hours following the filing of its appeal before the University Appeals Committee, for a de novo consideration of the request.The University Appeals Committee shall have power to grant or deny the request, and its decision shall be final, unless judicial review is sought.Any sponsoring organization aggrieved by the action of the University Appeals Committee in denying the request may obtain judicial review thereof upon application to any court or competent jurisdiction.
- The willful damage or destruction or seizure and subversion of the institution's buildings or other property
- The forcible disruption or impairment or interference with the institution's regularly scheduled classes or other educational functions
- The physical harm, coercion, intimidation, or other invasion of lawful rights of the institution's officials, faculty members, or students
- Other campus disorder of a violent nature
The Director of University Union and Hub is responsible for the review of this policy every four years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
Event Request form available at http://www.usm.edu/student-activities/forms-0
Amendments: Month, Day, Year – summary of changes
11/01/11: Formatted for Institutional Policies website.
02/27/13: Formatted for template. Minor editing throughout.