The mission of The University of Southern Mississippi Symphony Orchestra is to:
(1) serve as the professional development arm for the students in the orchestra at The University of Southern Mississippi in
(2) serve as a professional level orchestra for the general public in south Mississippi.
In concert with the mission of the university, the orchestra fosters learning among students in ways that prepare them to become contributing citizens and leaders in a global society.
Through the annual eight-concert season, which offers programs of classical, popular, opera, and large combined choral/symphonic works and world class guest artists, the orchestra strives to fulfill its goal of serving not only the university community but also the larger community of south Mississippi.
There are several core values that the university promotes and maintains to develop artists of the future and to serve the community:
- Artistic Quality: To present programs of uncompromising quality that reflect the education and the artistic abilities of the musicians in an international ensemble from diverse backgrounds.
- Repertoire: To perform works of diverse styles and from centuries past as well as new works.
- Performance: To prepare all selections to the exacting level required for professional performance.
- Audience Development: To increase the partnerships and participation of the communities we serve through a balanced repertoire, guest artists and symphony volunteers.
- Organizational Development: To give orchestra members and music students in the university opportunities to showcase their talents through the annual concerto competition and smaller ensembles as well as interaction with other businesses and musical organizations in the region.
- Educational Outreach: To serve as an educational outreach opportunity for students in grades K through 12 through various educational programs designed to introduce young audiences to orchestral instruments, choral music, opera, and dance.