Citation Hearing and Appeals Procedure
Any individual receiving a parking or traffic citation may log into the citations portal to request a hearing on the citation, complete a citation appeal form or make a payment online.
Hattiesburg Campus: Students shall have a hearing before a student judicial board. Faculty and staff members shall have a hearing before a staff board.
Gulf Park Campus: Faculty, staff and students hearings will be heard by the Parking Management Committee. The following reasons are NOT acceptable grounds for dismissing a parking or traffic citation:
- Ignorance of regulations
- Inability to find a legal parking space
- No space available
- Inclement weather
- Late for class
- Improperly displayed decal
- Failure to purchase a decal
- Permit used by another person
- Not displaying a decal
Requests for a parking violation hearing must be made within five calender days of issuance of the citation.
Hattiesburg Campus: Student hearings will be held weekly during fall and spring semesters. During the summer semester, student hearings will be held once a month.
Faculty and staff hearings will be held each month that school is in session full-time. The ruling of the board(s) may be appealed to the Parking Management Committee in writing within five calendar days from the decision of the board(s). The decision from the Parking Management Committee is final.
Gulf Park: Faculty, staff, and student hearings will be held once a month. The decision from the Parking Management Committee is final.
A person requesting a hearing may be present at his or her parking violation hearing and may present information as permitted by the board(s) regarding the citation:
- Parking violations "Request for Hearing" cases where the alleged violator wishes to be present are decided by the board(s) at the hearing.
- A diagram or other pertinent information describing details concerning the citation may be submitted to the Department of Parking Management Office.
- Tickets are considered pending during the parking violation hearing process.
- The board(s) will hear the matter and render a decision. The board(s) may:
- find that a parking violation occurred and impose the appropriate penalty; or,
- find that no parking violation occurred and dismiss the citation; or,
- suspend half or all of the fine imposed as a result of a finding of fact in the hearing.
The decision of the board(s) is transmitted to the alleged violator at the address supplied online.
How to submit a citation appeal or make a citation payment
You will need the following information:
- Southern Miss I. D. Number (Ex. Faculty/Staff and Students six-digit number Ex. 123456), and the last name
- A valid email address
- The citation that you are appealing
A credit card can be used to make a secure online payment. Cash, Visa or MasterCard are accepted at the following locations:
- The Department of Parking Management in McLemore Hall, First Floor lobby
Gulf Park Campus
- Business Services, Hardy Hall, Second Floor, Room 231
If you have any questions or problems, please contact DPM at 601.266.4943.