FAQs Academic Standing
1. What is academic probation and can I still register?
- The first semester that a student’s grade point average falls below the minimum required, he/she is placed on academic probation.
- The student is required to go through advisement for pre-registration.
- Students on academic probation are allowed to pre-register for the next term after being advised in their department
2. What is academic probation continued and can I still register?
- The second consecutive semester that a student’s grade point average is below the minimum required, he/she is placed on academic probation continued.
- The student is required to be advised by their department and sign a probation-continued contract.
- Students on academic probation continued are allowed to pre-register for the next term after the probation-continued block has been removed by their departmental advisor
3. What is academic suspension and can I still register?
- The third consecutive semester that a student’s grade point average is below the minimum required OR the first semester a student fails ALL courses with a full-time status, he/she is placed on academic suspension.
- Students who are placed on academic suspension and have pre-registered for the next term will have their courses dropped if the academic suspension is not cleared by the last day before classes begin.
- Students who are placed on academic suspension and have pre-registered for a mini-session will be dropped from their mini session course immediately.
- Students placed on academic suspension for the first time are not allowed to attend any institution for one semester.
- If students placed on academic suspension take any course work at another institution without prior written approval will not be allowed to use the transfer work toward their academic degree.
- Students may appeal their academic suspension through their department advisor and/or college dean. Process varies within colleges so contact your college.
- If suspended students get readmitted, they are given a contract GPA they must meet. If they meet the contract GPA, their pre-registered courses are held for the upcoming term. If they do not, they must appeal their suspension immediately or their pre-registered courses will be dropped. Regardless all suspended students must meet with their departmental advisor or college dean by the end of each term to file a new contract to eligible for continued enrollment each semester.
- If a student is placed on academic suspension a second semester and does not meet the minimum term grade point average, they will not be allowed to enroll for two semesters.
4. What is academic suspension but with continued enrollment?
- Students who successfully achieved the contract GPA as stipulated on their academic suspension appeal will be given a Continued Enrollment status.
- The pre-registered courses for students with continued enrollment will not be dropped for the upcoming term although their OVERALL GPA has them on academic suspension.
- Students with continued enrollment status must get a new contract GPA prior to the end of their next semester enrollment in order for additional pre-registered courses to be held
5. What is admissions probation and can I still register?
- Students who fail to meet standard admission criteria can be placed on admissions probation.
- Students with admissions probation must make a minimum 2.0 grade point average on the first 12 hours.
- Students with admissions probation will be allowed to pre-register after being advised by their departmental area.
- Students with admissions probation who fail to meet the minimum 2.0 grade point will be placed on admissions suspension
6. What is admissions suspension and can I still register?
- Students who are placed on admissions suspension will have their pre-registered courses dropped unless the admissions suspension is removed prior to the last day before classes begin.
- Students with admissions suspension are encouraged to attend another institution to improve their overall grade point average and return by meeting all regular admission criteria