Message from the Vice President for Research
Dr. Gordon Cannon
The University of Southern Mississippi takes pride in the accomplishments of its faculty, staff and students in the competition for external resources. The magnitude of external resources awarded to Southern Miss during the 2009-10 fiscal year, $80 million, is an indication of the quality of the university’s programs and the respect they are given regionally, nationally and internationally.
While the growth and numbers associated with the research enterprise are descriptive, they alone do not tell the whole tale. Not revealed is the breadth of intellectual endeavor in externally sponsored projects and the impact of these projects on the quality of life.
A sample of this year’s projects illustrates the contributions of the university’s scholarly, creative and research activities:
- Through performances in music and dance, community partnerships have provided a means of expression for at-risk youth.
- Research and outreach activities focusing on violence have sought to improve school safety.
- Mechanisms for improved nutrition and health care have been deployed in the Mississippi Delta.
- Historians have continued to catalog in oral format the turbulent times of the last half century in Mississippi life.
- Teacher preparation technology and tools to attack the literacy problems of the state have been enhanced.
- Advances in mariculture, materials technology and information processing developed by our researchers have stimulated economic growth and development.
These are only a slice of the total spectrum of research activities found across the university's dual-campus locations.
The University of Southern Mississippi has recently been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a "Doctoral/Research-Extensive Institution." This significant national recognition validates the high quality of our strong graduate and undergraduate programs and the students who have been and will be served by our university.
As we continue to expand our foundation as a Carnegie research university to ensure the quality of all of our efforts, we look forward to the continued successes and recognition that our university so richly deserves.