The Department of Psychology at The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) offers graduate training in School Psychology, which is accredited by both the American Psychological Association’s (APA; Education Directorate; Program Consultation & Accreditation; 750 First Street NE; Washington, DC 20002; Phone:  336-5979; Fax:  336-5978; firstname.lastname@example.org) Commission on Accreditation and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The NCATE accreditation standards incorporate the training recommendations of the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). Doctoral level preparation in professional School Psychology requires completion of four years of academic study (including three summer sessions) followed by a one-year internship and culminates in the Ph.D. degree.
The focus of the School Psychology program at USM is the preparation of doctoral level students. Students are admitted with the expectation that they will complete the doctoral degree program. Post-bachelor's degree students first complete a Master's degree, including an empirical thesis, en route to the doctorate. Pending satisfactory progress on course work and the thesis, students can expect to continue to the doctoral degree plan. Students may also be admitted to the School Psychology Program at the post-master's degree level.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Broad training in empirically-based problem-solving skills, essential for assuming the diverse roles of School Psychologists today and in the future
- Specialized training in behavior analytic theory and practice
- Extensive supervised field- and clinic-based training through our on-campus clinic and area schools
- Opportunities for supervised practica in other community settings including developmental disability facilities and early intervention centers.
- APA accredited and NASP approved training program
- Recently (2007) ranked 9th in the nation for faculty publication rates among School Psychology Programs
- Over 98% APA-accredited internship placement rate
- 100% pass rate on the BCBA exam in last 7 years
- 100% pass rate on the EPPP in last 7 years