What is a Peer Advisor?
Peer Advisors (PAs) are the people to know for the places to go!
They are a group of students who serve as a resource to inspire interest in study abroad by enthusiastically sharing their personal insight and providing first-hand knowledge and information about the opportunities offered by Southern Miss. Each semester, the Office of International Programs (OIP) selects 15-18 peer advisors to serve for a semester or an academic year.
NEW this year (2015-2016 academic year), students may apply for specific roles and internships within the Peer Advisor team!
In addition to general responsibilities as outlined below, students have the opportunity to apply to be chair of the four committees that may highlight certain strengths and skills they have.
Are you passionate about photography? Join our Social & Campus Media committee! Do your want to be able to talk about your experiences abroad with students? Join our tabling committee! There is a committee that will fit each person's schedule and skill set!
A list of the committees can be found below, as well as further information about general responsibilities, qualifications, compensation and how to apply!
We hope you will consider applying to be a part of the 2015-2016 Peer Advisor Team!
- Staff general information tables
- Participate in Study Abroad Fairs
- Organizes engaging activities for tabling (ex. photo booths, games, etc.)
Informational Sessions Committee
Present information to groups on campus including residence halls, student organizations, selected classes, etc.
- Coordinates with professors, Greek life, and other organizations on campus to promote studying abroad
- Organizes creative informational sessions and events to promote different programs
Social & Campus Media Committee
- Assists in maintaining an active feed via various social media accounts
- Creates flyers and other materials to promote upcoming events & meetings
- Documents Peer Advisor events through photography (or video)
- Assists in creating our bi-weekly newsletter, the Scoop
Special Events Committee
- Helps organize the events for International Education Week
- Continuously and creatively works to further integration between incoming/outgoing exchange students and outgoing/returning study abroad students
- Coordinates events/activities with the International Club
- Attend one meeting per month
- Advise students on the basics of study abroad including available programs (semester, year, and summer), application deadlines and procedures, etc.
- Mentor incoming and outgoing exchange students
- Attend initial training sessions and regular meetings throughout each semester
- Attend and in many cases assist in welcome/farewell events/barbeques/lunches for our visiting international exchange students
- Assist International Programs with International Education Week, recruitment events, email campaigns, specific projects (as assigned) and pre-departure orientation sessions
- Contribute ideas, feedback, and suggestions from the student perspective
- Talk about your study abroad experience to people who will listen, whenever you can
- Other duties as assigned or as suggested by you!
Peer Advisors commit to the current academic year, and volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week, which may vary based on your committee (internship positions will differ), assisting applicants prior to their departure. Upon selection Peer Advisors must attend 1 training session, which is planned around the group's schedule.
- Networking opportunity to potentially be hired in the field of International Education one day
- Recommendations for future employment
- A one-of-a-kind peer advisor t-shirt
- An International Education Week t-shirt
- A gift card to Barnes and Nobles
- Free meals at official PA meetings
- A discount on any Southern Miss study abroad program
- Friends and Fun times!
Picture this on your resume:
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS PEER ADVISOR
The University of Southern Mississippi [dates]
Student representative of the Office of International Programs. Served as a resource to inspire interest in study abroad by enthusiastically sharing personal insight and providing first-hand knowledge and information about opportunities offered by Southern Miss. Etc...