Dr. J. Becton
J. Bret Becton, PhD, became Dean and Professor of Management of the College of Business and Economic Development at The University of Southern Mississippi on July 1, 2019. Prior to that, Dr. Becton served as Dean and Professor of the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette from July, 2017 to June 2019. Prior to becoming dean at UL Lafayette, he was the Associate Dean in the College of Business at the University of Southern Mississippi (2014-2017) and an assistant and associate professor of management (2008-2017) and assistant professor of management at Winthrop University (2005-2008).
Dr. Becton received a B.S. in Psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi, a M.S. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology from University of Tulsa, and a Ph.D. in in Management with a dual emphasis in human resource management and organizational change from the Harbert College of Business at Auburn University.
- Human Resource Management & Organizational Change (PHD) - Auburn University (2005)
- MA - University of Tulsa (1993)
- BS - University of Southern Mississippi (1991)
Over his career, Dr. Becton has taught a variety of classes including management, leadership, staffing and development, human resource management, labor relations, compensation, and organizational behavior.
- Social Media Snooping on Job Applicants: The Effects of Unprofessional Social Media Information on Recruiter Perceptions, Personnel Review, 2019
- Preventing and correcting workplace harassment: Guidelines for employers, Business Horizons, 2017
- Is What You See What You Get? Investigating The Relationship Between Social Media Content and Counterproductive Work Behaviors, Alcohol Consumption, And Episodic Heavy Drinking, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 2017
- Differential Effects of Task Performance, Organizational Citizenship Behavior, and Job Complexity on Voluntary Turnover, Journal Of Business And Psychology, 2016
- Generational Differences in Workplace Behaviors., Journal Of Applied Social Psychology, 2014
- Personality and Applicant Web Behavior on Recruiting Web Sites, Journal Of Applied Psychology, 2012
- Backdated stock options and boards of directors: An examination of committees, structure, and process, Corporate Governance, 2012
- Is the Past Prologue for Some More than Others?: The Hobo Syndrome and Job Complexity, Journal Of Vocational Behavior, 2011
- Cultural Differences in Organizational Citizenship Behaviors: A Comparison of Chinese and American Workers, International Journal Of Human Resource Management, 2009
- Racial Differences in Promotion Candidate Performance and Reactions to Selection Procedures: A Field Study in a Diverse Top-Management Context, Journal Of Organizational Behavior, 2008
- Academy of Management