Dr. Kuppareddi Balamurugan
Dr Kuppareddi Balamurugan is an Associate Professor in the School of Criminal Justice, Forensic Science and Security. Dr Balamurugan has a Ph.D. in Genetics from the University of Madras, Chennai, India. As a Post Doctoral Fellow at the Research Institute in Miami Children’s Hospital, Miami, Florida, he was one of the investigators who cloned and sequenced the Aspartoacylase gene in humans and mouse that is responsible for Canavan disease, a cerebral degenerative diseases in children. Dr Balamurugan also has worked as a Forensic DNA analyst and DNA technical manager in forensic laboratories. Besides his research in molecular biology and population genetics, he also teaches forensic genetics, forensic DNA technology and several other forensic science courses at the University of Southern Mississippi. His research work includes genetics of populations, and polymorphic DNA markers for forensic human identification. He was a co-principal investigator in three NIJ/DOJ grants.
- Human Genetics (PHD) - University of Madras (1993)
- MS - University of Madras (1981)
- BS - University of Madras (1979)
Introduction to Forensic Science (undergraduate)
Forensic Serology (undergraduate and graduate)
Forensic DNA technology (undergraduate and graduate)
Forensic Science Policies and Procedures (Capstone)
Seminar in Forensic Science.
- Identification of spermatozoa by tissue-specific differential DNA methylation using bisulfite modification and pyrosequencing., Electrophoresis, 2014, 10.1002/elps.201400175
- High-resolution melt analysis of DNA methylation to discriminate semen in biological stains., Analytical biochemistry, 2016, 10.1016/j.ab.2015.10.002
- Detection and evaluation of DNA methylation markers found at SCGN and KLF14 loci to estimate human age., Forensic science international. Genetics, 2017, 10.1016/j.fsigen.2017.07.011
- Tamil (Native or Bilingual)
- English (Native or Bilingual)