Dr. Catherine Rand
Dr. Catherine Rand is Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music and conducts the USM Wind Ensemble and teaches masters and doctoral wind conducting students. She has presented her research “Balancing Artistry and Education” in Austria and Singapore and conducted the Minnesota All-State Band and Florida All-State Honor Band. A proponent of contemporary wind band music, she has been a part of commissioning new works from composers such as Joseph Schwantner, David Maslanka, and Paul Dooley. The USM Wind Ensemble was selected to perform at the 2018 CBDNA Southern Region Conference, the 2019 CBDNA National Convention, and the 2017 and 2019 Mississippi Bandmasters Conference. Her CD Alchemize (NAXOS), was released in 2017.
BME, University of Tampa; MM (conducting), University of South Florida; DMA (wind conducting), University of Miami Frost School of Music.
- Instrumental Conducting Cognate in Music Education (DMA) - University of Miami (2007)
- Master of Music: Conducting (MM) - University of South Florida (2000)
- BME - University Of Tampa (1990)
- Christopher Rouse, A Composer’s Insight Thoughts, Analysis, and Commentary on Contemporary Masterpieces for Wind Band, 2012
- Alchemize, Naxos Wind Band Classics, 2017
- Teacher Resource Guide: “Jungla” by composer Ferrer Ferran, Teaching Music through Performance in Band, Volume 11, 2017
Contemporary American music for wind band is among the most varied, colorful and brilliant to be heard anywhere, not least when performed by one of the genre’s leading young ensembles. Pulitzer Prize winner Joseph Schwantner is represented by his evocative concerto Luminosity. David Maslanka has helped to reshape the wind band sound and Hosannas, some of which are based on chorale melodies, are full of moments of self-reflection. These qualities of quiet and timelessness are shared by the first movement of Steven Bryant’s Alchemy in Silent Spaces.
- Festival Internacional de Música Guaranda - Ecuador
- I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold, James M. David
- Women Band Directors International
- College Band Directors National Association
- Kappa Kappa Psi National Music Organization
- Mississippi Bandmasters Association