Dr. Jay Howell
Dr. Howell is a Interim Associate Director, Associate Professor of Education, and Program Coordinator for the Secondary Alternate Route Licensure Programs within the School of Education. Dr. Howell grew up in the public schools of Mobile, AL. He attended Auburn University (War Eagle!) where he received a Bachelor's degree in secondary social science education. After teaching high school history and geography in Georgia for five years, Dr. Howell returned to Auburn to complete a Master's and Ph.D. in Curriculum & Teaching. Dr. Howell is married to Bethany, an elementary school teacher. Together they have two children and two dogs. You can find more information about Dr. Howell by visiting jamesbhowell.com.
- Secondary Social Studies Education (PHD) - Auburn University (2014)
- Secondary Social Studies Education (MED) - Auburn University (2007)
- BS - Auburn University (2001)
Management & Organization of Instruction, Classroom Management, Field Problems I and II.
- Geographic Inquiry for Citizenship: Identifying Barriers to Improving Teachers’ Practice , The Journal of Social Studies Research, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssr.2022.04.001
- Wise-Practice Use of Visual Primary Sources: Towards a More Interactive Presentation of Content, The Councilor: A Journal of the Social Studies, 2020
- Investigating teacher adoption of authentic pedagogy through Scaffolded Lesson Study, Theory and Research in Social Education, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/00933104.2020.1751761
- Selecting and designing visual curriculum materials for inquiry-based instruction, Social Studies Research and Practice, 2019, 10.1108/SSRP-08-2019-0042
- Designing geographic inquiry: Preparing secondary students for citizenship, Journal of Geography, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00221341.2018.1495249
- Scaffolded lesson study: Promoting professional teaching knowledge for problem-based historical inquiry, Social Studies Research and Practice, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/SSRP-03-2017-0008
- Mississippi Council for the Social Studies
- Phi Kappa Phi