Dr. Travis Higa
Assistant Teaching Professor
Travis Higa joins the faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi as the Assistant Director of Bands, where he assists “The Pride of Mississippi” Marching Band, directs the USM Basketball Pep Band, conducts the Concert Band, and teaches Conducting I.
Prior to USM, Travis studied wind conducting at Michigan State University while also serving on faculty at Oakland University where he conducted the Symphonic Band and taught courses in music education. Before studying at MSU, Travis taught instrumental and general music in the Longmeadow Public Schools in Western Massachusetts, as well as served as Music Director and founder of the Youth Wind Ensemble of Springfield at the Community Music School of Springfield.
Travis holds a Doctor of Musical Arts in Wind Conducting from Michigan State University, a Master of Music in Trumpet Performance from the University of Montana, and a Bachelor of Music in Music Education from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- DMA - Michigan State University (2019)
- MM - University of Montana (2013)
- BM - University of Nevada-Las Vegas (2011)
Conducting I, Concert Band, USM Pep Band, The Pride of Mississippi Marching Band
- Preventing Discrimination & Harassment: Employees V2.3
- Music Vocal/Instrumental/General (All-Levels)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- Title IX: Preventing Sexual Misconduct for Faculty and Staff – "Responsible Employee" Edition