When you think Music, Think Southern Miss
There are two master's degrees available in the School of Music: one with a major in music leading to the master of music degree, the other with a major in music education leading to the master of music education degree. Emphasis areas in the master of music degree are Conducting, Music History & Literature, Music Theory, Performance, Piano Accompanying, and Woodwind Performance & Pedagogy.
Music Education M.M.E. Licensure or Online
Our Master’s in Music Education program is designed specifically for individuals who are currently teaching or involved in the professional world and want to earn their Master’s in Music Education degree from anywhere, at any time. Our convenient and affordable online degree gives you the tools to improve your teaching techniques and offers you the opportunity to address topics that are relevant in music education today. Online at Southern Miss is bringing the classroom to you. This is your life, plus college.
- Undergraduate Prerequisite Requires completion of a bachelor's degree in music at The University of Southern Mississippi or an equivalent program that included student teaching and state licensure. Track II candidates must: Successfully pass the PRAXIS I and Praxis IIA exams before or by the end of the 1st semester of study. Successfully pass the Basic Technology Exam given by the education department before or by the end of the 1st semester. Successfully pass a music education piano proficiency examination by the end of the 2nd semester of enrollment. Must obtain clearance from the Office of Educational Field Experiences (OEFE).
- Admission to graduate study does not imply admission to candidacy for a master's degree. In addition to requirements listed to gain degree candidacy (listed elsewhere in the Graduate Bulletin) Track II candidates must: Successfully pass the PRAXIS I and Praxis IIA exams before or by the end of the 1st semester of study. Failure to do so will prevent further enrollment in the program. Successfully pass the Basic Technology Exam given by the education department before or by the end of the 1st semester. Failure to do so will prevent further enrollment in the program. If not required for the previous undergraduate degree, successfully pass a music education piano proficiency examination by the end of the 2nd semester of enrollment. Must obtain clearance from the Office of Educational Field Experiences (OEFE) before required observation and practica in specified music area methods courses. Successful completion of degree requirements include: Successfully passing Praxis II, Music: Content Knowledge Test (5113) before graduating. Successful completion of student teaching seminars and two supervised teaching placements. The candidate can complete one full semester (6 credit hours) consisting of two (2) experiences. The candidate can teach one experience each over two (2) semesters (3 credit hours each) for a half-day. Successful completion of comprehensive examinations.
Professional Licensure Disclosure
Programs at the University of Southern Mississippi that prepare students for licensure in Music Education (K-12) are designed to meet the licensure standards set by the Mississippi Department of Education. The University of Southern Mississippi cannot determine whether a particular licensure program meets requirements for licensure outside of the State of Mississippi. Students seeking licensure in another state are advised to contact the appropriate licensing board in that state to determine specific requirements of guidelines for reciprocity. For a list of the state departments of education that oversee professional teaching licensure, see the U.S. Department of Education website - State Contacts page.
|Music Education MME||Hattiesburg, Online 100%|
- Choral emphasis instructor or professorship
- Instrumental/Band instructor, professorship
- Foundation For Conducting
- Adam R. Johnson, 2014, (Music Education, Trombone) & 2018
(MME Online). Instructor with Texas (Morris County) Public School System.
- Dr. Jeffery Murdock, 2004 & 2006 (MM)
Assistant Director of Choral Activities, Music Education, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- Alexandra Arnold, 2013 (Choral Music Education), 2019
MME Online, Instructor in Laurel Public School System.
- Demetrius Robinson, 2013 Tuba/Voice Music Education, 2015
MM Choral Conducting. Instructor, STAX Academy, Memphis, Tennessee. PhD program, University of Memphis
- Ms. Autumn Beck, 2004,
Choral Music Education. Instructor, Louisiana Conservatory