Orientation at Gulf Park
Register for Orientation
What is Orientation?
Orientation is a campus event designed to prepare new students for a successful transition to life at Southern Miss. New students are introduced to campus services and resources through an interactive schedule of events. All new degree-seeking students are required to attend Fall Orientation.
Note: You will need to set-up your SOAR account in order to register for Orientation. Please also temporarily disable any pop-up blockers on your browser prior to registering.
2020 Gulf Park Orientation Dates
- January 15, 2020
- Check in located in Fleming Education Center from 7:45 - 8:30 a.m.
- August 12, 2020
- Check in located in Fleming Education Center from 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Program begins promptly at 9:30 a.m.
A student Orientation course fee of $100 will appear on the student's bill for UNV 100, an online course designed to supplement the on-campus Orientation experience.
- Complete Advisement and Course Registration. Schedule an advisement appointment with your Academic Advisor soon, as it is an important first step in earning a degree from USM. Your initial appointment will be about an hour long and is foundational to planning your course of study at USM (especially if you are a transfer student). At this time, our Advisement Center staff is working remotely to handle all of your advisement needs virtually. To schedule a video or phone appointment with an advisor, call or email the Gulf Park Advisement Center at 228.214.3440 or gulfparkadvisingcenterFREEMississippi. Please specify your major when you contact the Advisement Center. More information can be found at www.usm.edu/gulf-park-advisement-center/.
Learn your SOAR password. You will have to log in to SOAR during Orientation. If you can't remember your SOAR password, reset it at campusid.usm.edu before you attend Orientation. (Your username is a lower-case “w” followed by your 6- or 8-digit Southern Miss ID number.)
Log in to your Southern Miss email account. Follow these instructions or log in to Microsoft Office 365’s Outlook email. Your Southern Miss email account is the primary way your professors and the University will communicate with you; it is important that you activate this account and check it regularly.
- Get your student ID made. Having that ID made makes it official: you're a Golden Eagle! Make sure to hold on to it — you will need it every day. Visit the One Stop on the first floor of Hardy Hall. *Student IDs are currently on hold as our campus is closed. When campus opens again, you will get instructions on how to get a student ID made.
- Talk with staff in the Office of Financial Aid. Financial Aid counselors will be available during regular business hours to speak with you individually about your financial aid. (A veterans benefits coordinator will also be on site.) You are highly encouraged to take care of all of your financial aid business before orientation. *Staff members in these areas are working remotely to assist you virtually.
Contact Admissions if you want to change your major. If you change your mind about your major after applying for admission, contact The Office of Admissions to communicate your new major.
Submit any AP, IB, CLEP or college credit to Admissions. If you have earned college credit from a source outside of Southern Miss, you must submit proof to The Office of Admissions so that it can be applied toward your degree. If you have earned college credit through dual enrollment at another college or university, you must request official transcripts be sent to Admissions.
Attend all scheduled activities and sessions. The orientation program was designed specially to introduce you to on-campus resources that promote student success. You will experience our Southern Miss culture firsthand as you meet faculty, staff, and peers who will support you through your academic journey.
Get your questions answered. There will be a variety of sessions during Orientation that cover many topics students and guests have about Southern Miss. Student orientation leaders, staff members and faculty will gladly answer any questions you have and address any concerns. We understand that there is a lot of information to process, and we want to help you in any way that we can!
Order your textbooks. You can preorder your textbooks through Barnes & Noble at Southern Miss. You will need your class schedule to get started.
Send your immunization records to Admissions. State law requires you to submit proof that you have been immunized twice for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Be sure you send that documentation to The Office of Admissions before classes start. Upload a copy of your proof of immunization.
Send final transcripts to Admissions. Recently graduated high school seniors should send a final official transcript that reflects all grades earned during their senior year and date of graduation. New transfer students should send a final official transcript (with no work in progress) from the last college or university attended.
Get excited about Welcome Week. Welcome Week is our chance to welcome returning students back to campus and new students to campus for the first time! It includes an interactive program of events designed for you to meet your peers and get connected with faculty and staff to help you achieve success at Southern Miss.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gulf Park Orientation
Orientation is a campus event designed to prepare new students for a successful transition to life at Southern Miss and the Gulf Park Campus. New students are introduced to campus services and resources and have the opportunity to meet faculty and staff.
We strongly encourage all students to schedule an advising appointment with an Academic Advisor at your earliest convenience. Only students who are registered for classes will be allowed to participate in Fall Orientation. To schedule an appointment with an advisor, call or email the Gulf Park Advisement Center at 228.214.3440 or gulfparkadvisingcenterFREEMississippi. Please specify your major when you contact the Advisement Center. More information can be found at www.usm.edu/gulf-park-advisement-center/. * All advisement appointments are currently being conducted virtually through both phone and video platforms.
Students should plan to check-in to Orientation beginning at 8:30 a.m. Orientation should conclude by 5:00 p.m.
You must be admitted to Southern Miss in order to attend Orientation. The Office of Admissions can assist you with getting admitted to Southern Miss prior to your Orientation session. To contact the Office of Admissions, please email admissionsFREEMississippi or call 601.266.5000.
If special assistance or auxiliary aids are needed, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at gp-orientationFREEMississippi to discuss accommodations at least one week prior to your Orientation session.
Yes. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at gp-orientationFREEMississippi to discuss accommodations.
Although Financial Aid professionals will be available during orientation, Gulf Park students are strongly encouraged to complete all financial aid processes as soon as they get registered for classes and before orientation.
UNV 100 is a required 1-hour course for all new students at Southern Miss. It is an online pass/fail course administered online through Canvas.