Impact on Graduation
It is important to understand that your privacy status could impact your graduation in several ways:
- Your name will not appear on the RSVP Confirmation page;
- Your name will not appear in the Commencement Program;
- We will not be able to confirm your degree to potential employers.
The University of Southern Mississippi has designated the following items as Directory Information, subject to public disclosure in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974:
- Student Name
- Telephone Number
- E-mail Address
- Dates of Attendance
- Degree(s) Earned
- Previous Institutions Attended
- Class Rank
Directory Information pertaining to students of The University of Southern Mississippi is never knowingly provided to any requester for commercial purposes. Students must request the University not to release Directory Information; however, the consequences of that action should be considered before making the decision to do so.
- The enrollment of students who request to withhold Directory Information cannot be verified to any outside source such as potential employers, colleges, universities, or medical insurance companies.
- The names of students who request to withhold Directory Information will not appear in any official university publication distributed to the public, such as a commencement program.
- The names of students who request to withhold Directory Information will not be provided to the media when releasing academic recognition announcements (President's List or Dean's List).
Please understand that academic information will be kept completely private for you with or without the privacy status. However, for students who request privacy of their public information, directory information that is normally considered public is also kept private. Directory information includes: name, address, birth date, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, major and most recent previous educational institution attended.
If you have applied to graduate and wish to remove your privacy flag, please complete a written request and provide it to:
Office of the University Registrar
110 Kennard Washington Hall, room 110