What is a Peer Advisor?
Peer Advisors (PAs) are the people to know for the places to go!
They are a group of students who serve as a resource to inspire interest in study abroad by enthusiastically sharing their personal insight and providing first-hand knowledge and information about the opportunities offered by Southern Miss. Each semester, the Office of Study Abroad (OSA) selects 18-20 peer advisors to serve for a semester or an academic year.
Internships: (2016-2017 academic year), students may apply for specific roles and internships within the Peer Advisor team!
The PA Team is sectioned into three committees. There is a committee that will fit each person's schedule and skill set! A list of the committees can be found below, as well as further information about general responsibilities, qualifications, compensation and how to apply!
We hope you will consider applying to be a part of the 2016-2017 Peer Advisor Team!
- Staff general information tables
- Participate in Study Abroad Fairs
- Organizes engaging activities for tabling (ex. photo booths, games, etc.)
Present information to groups on campus including residence halls, student organizations, selected classes, etc.
- Coordinates with professors, Greek life, and other organizations on campus to promote studying abroad
- Assist with setting up and working events
- Posting signs for special events and passing out flyers when needed
Arts & Crafts Committee
- Creates signs and other materials to promote upcoming events & meetings
- Documents Peer Advisor events through photography (or video)
- Assist with goody bags, photo booth materials, other crafty needs
The Scoop Intern
- Write bi-weekly newsletter
- Come up with ideas for feature stories
- Has strong writing skills
- Able to meet strict deadlines
- Works closely with Study Abroad Coordinator, Jessica Bunales
The Office Intern
- Works 10 per week in Office of Study Abroad
- Able to multi-task
- Likes to interact with people
- Comfortable with answering phone
- Opportunity to learn more about International Education/Study Abroad
- Work on various Peer Advisor Team tasks
- Will work closely with Study Abroad Office staff
The High School Visit Day Intern
- Plans and coordinates High School Visit Day during International Education Week
- Needs to be able to put toghether itenerary
- Contact local high schools
- Able to meet strict deadlines
- Needs to be orgainized
- Works closely with Study Abroad Coordinator, Hannah Jones
GENERAL RESPONSIBILTIES FOR ALL PAs
- Attend one meeting per month
- Advise students on the basics of study abroad including available programs (semester, year, and summer), application deadlines and procedures, etc.
- Mentor incoming and outgoing exchange students
- Attend initial training sessions and regular meetings throughout each semester
- Attend and in many cases assist in welcome/farewell events/barbeques/lunches for our visiting international exchange students
- Assist the Office of Study Abroad with International Education Week, recruitment events, email campaigns, specific projects (as assigned) and pre-departure orientation sessions
- Contribute ideas, feedback, and suggestions from the student perspective
- Talk about your study abroad experience to people who will listen, whenever you can
- Other duties as assigned or as suggested by you!
Peer Advisors commit to the current academic year, and volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week, which may vary based on your committee (internship positions will differ), assisting students prior to their departure. Upon selection Peer Advisors must attend 1 training session.
- Networking opportunity to potentially be hired in the field of International Education one day
- Recommendations for future employment
- A gift card to Barnes and Nobles
- Free meals at official PA meetings
- A waived deposit for any future Southern Miss study abroad program
- Friends and Fun times!
Picture this on your resume:
STUDY ABROAD PEER ADVISOR
The University of Southern Mississippi [dates]
Student representative of the Office of Study Abroad. Served as a resource to inspire interest in study abroad by enthusiastically sharing personal insight and providing first-hand knowledge and information about opportunities offered by Southern Miss. Etc...