R/V Ken Barbor
Captain – Matt Muzslay
The R/V Ken Barbor is an Endeavor 48 foot built in 2008 by Silver Ship’s in Theodore, AL, for the Department
of Marine Resources (DMR). In January of 2021, she was delivered to the University
of Southern Mississippi after a 10 month extensive refurbishment.
The transformation from the original Endeavor 45 constructed as a cabin patrol vessel
for the Mississippi DMR to an Endeavor 48 research vessel involved extensive design
and reconstruction. The vessel was updated and refitted to serve as an offshore Research
Vessel to support USM’s School of Ocean Science and Engineering’s deep ocean underwater
surveys using various Un-crewed Underwater Vehicle systems. (UUV’s).
- The R/V Ken Barbor (USCG official number 1307097) is 48 feet long , with a 14-foot beam, has a displacement
of 30 gross tons, and a draft of 3 feet depending on the load. The vessel has an average
cruising speed of 20 knots with a range of 250 nautical miles. T, the vessel is a
day boat only, no overnight cruises are permitted, per the USCG’s Letter of Designation.
- The boat is equipped with two Cummins 610 HP diesel engines and a Northern Lights
16 kw 110/240V single-phase diesel generator. The vessel carries 680 fuel and 40 gallons
of potable water.
- The R/V Ken Barbor is licensed to carry 6 passengers maximum and is crewed by the Captain. The cabin,
below decks, and head have central air conditioning.
Deck Equipment includes a 1000-pound Hydraulic Crane, a 500 pound 24 volt24-volt Davit,
recessed deck tie downs, fixed swim platform, and Revere 6 man lift raft.
Electronic equipment includes Furuno Navigation System; radar, plotter and depth sounder,
Icom VHF & Single Side Band radios, Auto Pilot, AIS, and engine and generator room
cameras. The R/V Ken Barbor is insured to cover normal research activities of the Marine Research Center. Any
additional insurance requirements must be provided by the chartering researchers or
The base rate is for up to 8 hours of usage and is inclusive of fuel (rates subject
to change).. Any use beyond 8 hours is prorated. Food and drinks are not supplied.
Small personal coolers are permitted.
- Daily base rate - $1,700.00 / 8 hours
- Hourly overage rate - $212.50 / hour
For more information or to reserve the R/V Ken Barbor, please contact Matthew Muzslay at Matthew.Muzslay@usm.edu or (228) 214-9017.
Additional Notes for Charters
- A day starts when the vessel leaves the home port and ends when the vessel returns
to the home port. Once the vessel leaves the dock, the full rate will be charged regardless
of return time or work completed.
- Request for Service forms are to be turned in at least five working days before the
departure of any trips. Trip cancellations must be received at least five working
days prior to departure or ½ the day rate will be charged. There will be no charge
for weather days at the dock.
- The Captain will monitor weather conditions before departure and advise the field
party chief of conditions to determine if any work can be accomplished.
- All deck machinery will only be operated by the crew. The Chief Scientist will be
responsible for all hazmat chemicals.
The R/V Ken Barbor is insured to cover normal research activities of the Marine Research Center. Any
additional insurance requirements must be provided by the chartering researchers.
- If a “Request for Services” form is not completed at least 7 working days prior to
any trip, the trip will not be confirmed and could be subject to changes in dates.
- All passengers under 18 years of age will be required to submit a parental consent
form with the Vessel Operations Manager before a trip embarks.
Vessel Waiver Form