R/V Point Sur
Captain – Nicholas Allen
In February 2015, The University of Southern Mississippi purchased the R/V Point Sur research vessel from San Jose State University through a $1 million grant provided
by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Built in 1980, the 135—foot—long vessel accommodates 16 researchers and technicians
and a crew of eight, while housing a 1,110—square—foot deck that includes a primary
and wet laboratory. For day cruises, the R/V Point Sur has a capacity of 40 researchers. The vessel sports a cruising speed of 9.5 knots
and a range of 6,800 nautical miles at 10 knots.
R/V Point Sur Specifications
DESCRIPTION OF VESSEL
- BUILT: 1980
- LENGTH (LOA): 135 feet
- BEAM (extreme): 32 feet
- DRAFT (max): 9 feet
- GROSS TONNAGE: 298 tons
- DISPLACEMENT (L tons): 539, full load
- COMMUNICATIONS: VHF (4), Iridium Phone, VOIP Phone
- CALL SIGN: WDI6566
- STATE ID #: MI-4648-BW
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Certification of Classification #8123440
- ABS Load line certification: 8123440-1959169-001
- OWNERSHIP: University of Southern Mississippi
- OPERATING AGREEMENT: Cooperative Agreement between University of Southern Mississippi and Louisiana Universities
- TECHNICIANS: 1 or 2 (dependent on number of technicians required)
- SCIENTIFIC PERSONNEL: 16 (dependent on number of technicians sailing)
- 40 scientist capacity on day cruises, limited by number of lifejackets
PROPULSION AND SERVICE EQUIPMENT
- MAIN ENGINES: Two Caterpillar 379TA marine diesel, 565 hp each Fernholt & Giertsen Reduction gear,
- PROPELLERS: Two, four blade controllable pitch
- SHIP’S SERVICE GENERATOR: Two at 175 KW each
- FUEL CAPACITY: 29,000 gallons, No. 2 diesel
- ELECTRIC POWER: Two 175 KW, 440V,60cy., 3ph Kato Generator, Diesel Caterpillar 3406 engine
- CRUISING: 9.5 knots
- FULL: 11 knots
- MINIMUM: 0.1 knots
- ENDURANCE: 21 days, limited by stores
- RANGE: 6,800 NM at 10 Knots
- POTABLE WATER: 1452 gallons
- WASH WATER: 4448 gallons
- MSD: Omnipure 8MC - 1800 gallons/day
- HOLDING TANK: 1888 gallons
- WATER MAKER: Reverse Osmosis 800 gallons/day
- MAIN LABORATORY: 488 sq. ft., 2 sinks, equipment benches, (1) 13.5cf chest freezer, (1) 17.85 upright
fridge OR freezer, (1) -80 scientific freezer
- ELECTRONICS LABORATORY: 120 sq. ft.
- MAINMAST: Instrument Platform 11’ long, 55' above water line
- MAIN DECK: 1100 sq. ft.
- DECK HANDLING EQUIPMENT:
- Trawl Winch: Rapp Hydema Trawl holding 3200 meters of 0.680 cond. cable
- Hydro Winch: Markey DUSH-5 holding 2600 meters of .322 inch EM cable
- CTD Winch: Markey CUBE-6s holding 5000 meters of .322 inch EM cable
- Deck Crane Aft: Appleton Crane, SWL 3000 lb @ 34 feet, 6000 lb @ 27 feet
- Deck Crane Fwd: Hiab Articulating crane (2800 lb. @ 26 feet)
- Capstan: Removable hydraulic
- Stern A-Frame: SWL10,000 lbs, ramp width 12', 17' clearance
- Stbd. Gallows Frame: SWL 2500 lbs, 11' clearance
- RADIOS: Marine VHF and SSB
- SATELLITE TELEPHONES: Iridium and VOIP
- CELLULAR TELEPHONES: Signal booster system throughout vessel to aid in use of personal cell phones
- INTERNET/EMAIL: Realtime Internet and Email via Rignet (2048 kbps down/1024 kbps upload)
- GMDSS: Distress signaling via VHF, SSB and two INMARSAT C units
INSTALLED SCIENTIFIC EQUIPMENT
- R. D. Instruments 75 kHz Vessel Mounted.
- R. D. Instruments 300 kHz Vessel Mounted.
- Knudsen dual frequency echosounder, 12 and 3.5 kHz.
- Two 12-place Sea Bird 9/11 plus systems with sensor suites.
- Data Acquisition System
- Data acquisition system samples and logs data from meteorological sensors, thermosalinograph,
fluorometer, transmissometer and GPS. Scientific Computer Systems (SCS)
- 7 kVA UPS, supplies clean and backup power to lab.
To schedule a cruise on the R/V Point Sur, please contact:
Photo credit: nps.edu