Skip navigation

School of Finance

Collaborative Case Studies/Projects

 

The Junior League of Jackson requested assistance from The University of Southern Mississippi’s Economic Development program to conduct an economic impact study for their annual Mistletoe Marketplace. Research faculty and graduate students collected primary and secondary data to determine the impact of the three-day event by gathering participant feedback using a survey instrument designed to gain a better understanding of spending patterns. Over 300 attendee and vendor travel parties were surveyed and 271 usable surveys were analyzed.

During a football game at The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) vs. Mississippi State University (MSU) in 2015, the Southern Miss M.M. Roberts Stadium set a record attendance of 36,641 people with an additional 3,000 estimated attendees outside the stadium. The University conducted a study of the football game to gauge the economic impact generated by game day fans. The USM research team conducted a survey to gather information regarding spending habits of the fans. 

The Stone County Area Development Partnership commissioned The University of Southern Mississippi to conduct a retail trade analysis of the county. This report was intended to provide insight into the challenges and opportunities facing the county over the next 3-5 years. In 2013, Stone County captured approximately 66% of the retail trade of its area residents based upon a comparison between retail sales and population size. The other 34% of area retail sales are being made outside of the county. From 2010 to 2013, the largest growth in sales, by percentage, was the Automotive Sector (36.2%), while the two largest declining industries were Equipment and Supplies (-31.3%) and Furniture (-28.8%). Equipment and Sales industry sector represents potential for the largest growth (1271.4%) in order to meet per capita expectations. In 2014, Stone County showed a noteworthy increase in retail activity from 66% to 70% in meeting the retail needs of its residents.

The University of Southern Mississippi Lott National Center for Economic Development and Entrepreneurship was commissioned to facilitate the review process for a update to the strategic plan for the city of Pascagoula. The format of the review consisted of a community-wide survey and two half-day meetings to update the plan. This report provides a summary of the progress reported from the survey and in-person meetings to establish strategic priorities for the next five-years.

The results of an economic impact study conducted for the Jackson County Economic Development Foundationere presented to elected officials and business leaders during a spring investor's meeting held in Pascagoula, Mississippi.  Dr. Chad Miller, Assistant Professor and Economic Development Graduate Coordinator, said the study assessed $2.8 billion in capital investment from companies in Jackson County. Researchers learned the industrial growth created 3,948 new jobs, 1,997 of which were direct jobs created by the companies. About 1,400 of the new jobs were in manufacturing while others jobs were created in other sectors of the economy. The projects also had "significant impact on the construction industry," Miller said, by creating 11,512 construction jobs and injecting $621 million in earnings into the industry. The expansions also increased annual state tax revenue by $13.6 million, the data showed. 

Trent Lott National Center staff and an economic development master's degree student conducted an economic impact study for the "Art in the Pass Festival" in Pass Christian, Mississippi. The festival promotes community development by engaging volunteers and encouraging participation from out-of-town visitors. The festival study revealed that the event generated an estimated 6,864 of total attendees of which out-of-town attendees generated approximately $370,000 in earnings income to the economy.

The target audience, out-of-town attendees, were considered to be anyone whose home zip code was from outside of Harrison County.  Additionally, the study revealed that local residents who participated in the festival generated over $165,000 in purchases during the weekend, benefitting the city of Pass Christian and Harrison County.

Trent Lott National Center staff, along with an economic development master's student, conducted an
on-site, two-day assessment of the city of Woodville, which is located in Wilkinson County, on Mississippi’s western border with Louisiana. The team met with festival leaders and determined ways to enhance marketing efforts of the Deer and Wildlife Festival, including the use of social media, email marketing and visitor surveys. As a result, that year's festival attendance grew by 60 percent, and the number of vendors and cook-off teams nearly doubled. 

The Stone County Area Development Partnership commissioned The University of Southern Mississippi to conduct a retail trade analysis of the county. This report was intended to provide insight into the challenges and opportunities facing the county over the next 3-5 years. In 2013, Stone County captured approximately 66% of the retail trade of its area residents based upon a comparison between retail sales and population size. The other 34% of area retail sales are being made outside of the county. From 2010 to 2013, the largest growth in sales, by percentage, was the Automotive Sector (36.2%), while the two largest declining industries were Equipment and Supplies (-31.3%) and Furniture (-28.8%). Equipment and Sales industry sector represents potential for the largest growth (1271.4%) in order to meet per capita expectations. In 2014, Stone County showed a noteworthy increase in retail activity from 66% to 70% in meeting the retail needs of its residents.

Contact Us

School of Finance

3071 Scianna Hall (SCH) 
Hattiesburg, MS 39406

Campus Hattiesburg

Campus Map

Email
businessFREEMississippi

Phone
601.266.4443