Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update February 8, 2021
As a result of the ongoing Covid--19 pandemic, many programs will be continuing to waive GRE and other standardized test requirements through Spring 2022. Applicants to those programs will have a test waiver automatically applied to their application upon submission. See below for the list of programs which will begin requiring test scores with Spring 2022.
- Audiology (Clinical) AuD
- Biological Science MS
- Biological Science PhD
- Biomedical Science MS
- Chemistry MS
- Chemistry PhD
- Computer Science MS
- Computer Science (Computational Science) MS
- Computational Science (Computer Science) PhD
- Criminal Justice MS
- Dyslexia Therapy Education MEd
- Education (Educational Administration P-12) EdS
- Education (Educational Administration P-12) EdD
- Education (Educational Studies and Research) MS
- Education (Research, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment) PhD
- Educational Administration and Supervision MEd
- Educational Curriculum and Instruction (Elementary Education) MEd
- Environmental Science MS
- Higher Education Administration PhD
- History MA
- History PhD
- Medical Laboratory Science MS
- Nursing (Nurse Anesthesia) DNP
- Public Health Administration (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) MPH
- Public Health Administration (Health Education) MPH
- Public Health Administration (Health Policy and Administration) MPH
- Secondary Education and Teaching (Teach Mississippi Institute) Graduate Certificate - required beginning with Fall 2021 admissions
- Secondary Teacher Education (Alternate Route) MAT
- Special Education MS
- Speech and Hearing Sciences (Speech-Language Pathology) MS
Please note, not all of the above programs accept new students for Spring Admissions.
In addition to the above, International Admissions will continue to accept the International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) for Spring 2022 applicants, which is currently offering at-home testing. Scores of 4.0 will be accepted to meet the University's English proficiency requirement. Send your test results to the Office of International Admissions at intladmissionsFREEMississippi.
Through an extensive selection of top-ranked degree and certificate programs and quality professional development opportunities, our graduates impact the world in diverse fields such as ocean science, psychology, social work, nursing, business and the arts.
Our exceptional faculty experts provide quality mentorship and advisement and are dedicated to fostering a culture of discovery, creativity and diversity, where opportunities for innovation abound.
Our research achievements and our strong dedication to our community set us apart as a highly ranked program, recognized by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Our responsive administration is paving a solid pathway for each graduate student to acquire the knowledge and skills for success at Southern Miss and beyond.
Applying to graduate school is easy, and our staff are eager to assist if you have questions.
Admission is competitive and based on a holistic review of the applicant’s credentials
Application deadlines vary by academic department and/or program and by semester for which admission is desired. Prospective students should contact departments for details.
Tuition and fees at Southern Miss are among the lowest in Mississippi, the Gulf Coast region, and the Southeast – particularly for out-of-state students, who may find attending Southern Miss to be more affordable than attending an institution in their home state.
Students may apply through academic departments for graduate teaching or research
assistantships. Graduate assistants receive waivers for both in-state and out-of-state
Counseling Psychology PhD Program in the Nation (CounselingPsychology.org, 2014)
Sport Management Master of Science among the Best Online Master's programs (OnlineColleges.net, 2016)
Pass Rate, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program (American Nurses Credentialing Center, 2015)
Domestic Graduate Application
Select this application if you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green card holder) and wish to apply for admission to any degree or certificate program.
Select this application if you are NOT a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green card holder) and wish to apply for admission to any degree or certificate program.
Select this application if you wish to return to a program to which you were previously admitted, enrolled, and attended. If you previously attended Southern Miss as an undergraduate or in another program of study, please complete the Graduate Application.
Select this application if you wish to take graduate level coursework, but do not intend on earning a certificate or degree at this time.