Graduate Mentor of the Year
The Graduate School is now accepting nominations for the 2020 Graduate Mentor of the
The Graduate Mentor of the Year Award recognizes an exemplary faculty member for outstanding
graduate student mentorship that produces successful graduates who display competence,
confidence, professionalism, and independence. Mentorship characteristics that will
be evaluated include:
- Being accessible and approachable to their students while modeling professionalism
- Setting and communicating clear expectations and holding students to high standards
- Providing guidance on students' research/creative projects and monitoring their academic
- Encouraging and helping students establish their own records of scholarship or performance
by supporting travel to professional meetings and conferences; submitting articles
or creative works for publication or exhibition; encouraging networking with professional
- Supporting students' professional development broadly
The winner will be recognized at the 2020 Susan A. Siltanen Graduate Research Symposium
awards luncheon on Tuesday, March 24th.
In addition to completing the form, nominators should be prepared to upload the following
- One letter from the nominator addressing the above characteristics
- One additional letter of recommendation from another current or former graduate student
- One letter of recommendation from the school director or other faculty member
Nominations are closed.
Contact Lindsey Jones at Lindsey.GarrityFREEMississippi with any questions.