Graduate Student Leave of Absence
Under special circumstances (illness, family hardship, military service etc.) a student may request a leave of absence from his/her graduate program. A leave of absence will be granted for one semester or longer as circumstances warrant. Requests for a leave of absence should be submitted via the Leave of Absence Request Form to the school director. The director should forward the Leave of Absence Form to the Graduate School indicating the department’s recommendation regarding leave.
Upon final review by the Dean of the Graduate School, the student and director will be notified of the final decision.
Graduate assistants requesting a leave of absence due to pregnancy should review the policy on Maternity Leave for GAs.
Before completing the Leave of Absence Request Form, be sure to
- confer with your graduate coordinator, advisor(s), and relevant offices (e.g., ISSS and Financial Aid) regarding the impact a Leave will have on your financial, academic, and work-related (assistantship) circumstances; and
- confer with your graduate coordinator, advisor(s) and the Graduate School about what, if any, conditions may be placed on your reinstatement after the Leave.
If, after review and consultation, you choose to request a Leave of Absence
- complete the Leave of Absence Request Form including supporting documentation, if requested by your graduate program and/or college;
- obtain all appropriate signatures; and
- submit the signed form to your graduate program department for final review and forwarding to the Graduate School for approval.
Returning from an Approved Leave
When you are preparing to return from an approved leave, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Apply for readmission to same graduate degree program.
- Contact iTech to have your SOAR password reset.
- Contact your program for advisement.
Please be aware that you will only be eligible for reinstatement if you apply for readmission to degree program, term, and year as stipulated in the Leave agreement.