Welcome to Housing and Residence Life
The Department of Housing and Residence Life at Southern Miss offers a convenient and safe place for students to live while making the most of their social and academic lives. The department’s mission is to provide a high quality physical, social and cultural environment that encourages and supports the holistic development of the residential student. The department is comprised of 350 staff who help oversee operations in 14 residence halls, 10 sorority houses and 9 fraternity houses. We employ our own maintenance tradesmen, tradeswomen and housekeeping staff, and the student population living on campus numbers more than 3,500 students.
Announcements & Application How-to Information
This section lists important department announcements and answers questions you may have about how to fill out a housing application or how to find a roommate.
- • The Housing Application for incoming Freshmen class of 2023 is now open! See ""How To Apply"" tab for more details.
- • We strongly recommend that residents of campus housing be vaccinated against Meningitis B and Meningitis ACYW. Most health insurances cover these shots at $0 copay to students. These shots are available for purchase at the Moffitt Health Center on campus. **These vaccinations are required for students who will be living in campus housing for Fall 2020.**
- November 25th-29th: Thanksgiving Holiday (Residence Halls will remain open)
- December 9th-12th: Exams
- December 13th: Commencement
1. You must first apply and be accepted to the University through the Office of Admissions.
2. After you have been admitted to the University and received an ID # you may apply for housing.
3. Click on the ""Submit Your Application"" link at the top of this page and follow the steps.
4. Once you complete the steps, click on 'Make Payment' to pay the $75 non-refundable processing/application fee ($150 after February 15th priority deadline). Enter your credit card information and click 'Finish'.
5. If you have difficulty accessing any portion of the website or are completing the housing application with adaptive technology because of a disability, please contact our central office located in Hickman Hall between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 601-266-4783 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to send/accept a roommate request:
1. Log in to your Housing application using your SOAR ID and password.
2. Go to the Roommate Request page and click on 'Create Group'. You will be listed as the leader of your group.
3. Click 'Invite' and type in your preferred roommate's first AND last name. If more than one name appears, type in their student ID number instead.
4. Your preferred roommate will receive an email letting them know to log back in to their application and accept your invitation. They MUST accept the invitation for the preference to be mutual.
5. Once your preferred roommate has accepted your invitation, they will be listed as a member in your group.