Welcome to Housing and Residence Life
Current Residents, Future Residents, Parents, Family and Friends,
On behalf of The Department of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) at Southern Miss, I want to thank you for taking time to explore our website and learn more about the on-campus experience and the communities we offer. HRL offers a home for more than 3500 students to live, learn, grow and connect while making the most of their collegiate experience. The department’s mission is to provide a high quality physical, social and cultural environment that encourages and supports the holistic development of the residential student and the virtual student at home. With a staff of over 350, in 14 residence halls, 10 sorority houses, 9 fraternity houses, apartments and dedicated Living-Learning environments we are committed to providing a variety of housing opportunities to meet your needs throughout your time at Southern Miss.
Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life
Announcements & Application How-to Information
Residents of campus housing are HIGHLY encouraged to receive vaccinations against Meningitis B, Meningitis ACYW, and Covid-19. Before moving into their residence hall, students can provide proof of the Meningitis ACYW vaccination and at least the 1st round of Meningitis B vaccination through the housing portal online. Most health insurances cover these shots at $0 copay to students, and they are currently available for purchase at the Moffitt Health Center on campus. Current and incoming new students are encouraged to continue to provide the University with proof of these vaccinations at time of housing application submission.
- Spring Break- Monday, March 14- Friday, March 18
- Summer Housing Application online- Wednesday, March 15 @ 8 a.m.
- Good Friday Holiday Break- Friday, April 15
- Spring 2022 Move Out- By 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 14
- Fall 2022/Spring 2023 Application Cancellation Deadline- Wednesday, June 1
- Summer Move in- Friday, May 27 (summer session 1 and full summer)
- Tuesday, June 28 (summer session 2)
- Summer Move out- Wednesday, June 29 (summer session 1)
- Saturday, July 30 by 10 a.m. (full summer and session 2)
- Summer School Ends- Friday, July 29
- Fall Intersession Move-in- Sunday, July 31
1. You must first apply and be accepted to the University through the Office of Admissions.
2. After you have been admitted to the University and received an ID # you may apply for housing.
3. Click on the ""Enter Housing Portal" link at the top of this page and follow the steps.
4. Once you complete the application, click on 'Make Payment' to pay the non-refundable processing/application fee. Enter your credit card information and click 'Finish'.
5. If you have difficulty accessing any portion of the website or are completing the housing application with adaptive technology because of a disability, please contact our central office located in Hickman Hall between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 601-266-4783 or email@example.com.
How to send/accept a roommate pin number:
1. Complete a housing application in the student housing portal (sign contract and
pay processing fee).
2. A pin number that will be included with the application completed email that will be sent to the student's USM email address.
3. Students who wish to be roommates will share their pin number with their preferred roommate, so the request is mutual.
4. Once the students’ window for online room selection is open, one student within the roommate pairing group will log into the housing portal and select a room for both roommates by entering the roommate pin number at that time to pull the other roommate into the room.
Please contact our office if you need to reset your roommate's pin number.