Welcome to Housing and Residence Life
Current Residents, Future Residents, Parents, Family and Friends,
On behalf of The Department of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) at Southern Miss, I want to thank you for taking time to explore our website and learn more about the on-campus experience and the communities we offer. HRL offers a home for more than 3500 students to live, learn, grow and connect while making the most of their collegiate experience. The department’s mission is to provide a high quality physical, social and cultural environment that encourages and supports the holistic development of the residential student and the virtual student at home. With a staff of over 350, in 14 residence halls, 10 sorority houses, 9 fraternity houses, apartments and dedicated Living-Learning environments we are committed to providing a variety of housing opportunities to meet your needs throughout your time at Southern Miss.
Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life
Announcements & Application How-to Information
- Beginning Fall 2021/Spring 2022 residents of campus housing will be HIGHLY encouraged to receive vaccinations against Meningitis B and Meningitis ACYW. Before moving in to their residence hall, students can provide proof of the Meningitis ACYW vaccination and at least the 1st round of Meningitis B vaccination through the housing portal. Most health insurances cover these shots at $0 copay to students, and they are currently available for purchase at the Moffitt Health Center on campus. Current and incoming new students are encouraged to continue to provide the University with proof of these vaccinations at time of housing application submission.
- November 24th - 26th- Thanksgiving Holidays (Housing and Res. Life main office closed)
- December 2nd- Last day of classes
- December 6th - 9th- Exams
- December 11th- Residence halls close at noon for winter break
- December 23rd-December 31st - Holiday Break (Housing and Res. Life main office closed)
1. You must first apply and be accepted to the University through the Office of Admissions.
2. After you have been admitted to the University and received an ID # you may apply for housing.
3. Click on the ""Enter Housing Portal" link at the top of this page and follow the steps.
4. Once you complete the application, click on 'Make Payment' to pay the $75 non-refundable processing/application fee. Enter your credit card information and click 'Finish'.
5. If you have difficulty accessing any portion of the website or are completing the housing application with adaptive technology because of a disability, please contact our central office located in Hickman Hall between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 601-266-4783 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to send/accept a roommate request:
1. Log in to your Housing application via the Housing Portal using your SOAR ID and
2. Go to the Roommate Request page and click on 'Create Group'. You will be listed as the leader of your group.
3. Click 'Invite' and type in your preferred roommate's first AND last name. If more than one name appears, type in their student ID number instead.
4. Your preferred roommate will receive an email letting them know to log back in to their application and accept your invitation. They MUST accept the invitation for the preference to be mutual.
5. Once your preferred roommate has accepted your invitation, they will be listed as a member in your group.