University Bands serves over 300 students and is dedicated to its tradition of excellence, presenting at national and international venues. From concerts halls to half time entertainment at "The Rock," home of the Golden Eagles, its performing ensembles include, the Pride of Mississippi, the Wind Ensemble, the Symphonic Winds, the Concert Band, and the Dixie Darlings. No matter your passion—there is a place for you here.
Setting-up an Audition
To set up an audition date and time use the links below to complete the audition request form:
- Auditions for wind players are scheduled Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Auditions include all major scales, the chromatic scale, a prepared solo or etude, and sight-reading. You will be informed of your audition results by letter in the middle to late spring.
- Drum Line, Color Guard, and Feature Twirler audition requirements will be communicated once you have signed up for your audition.
- Please direct any scholarship questions to Dr.%20Colin%20McKenzie.
- All music majors and minors must contact the professor of the applicable instrument to schedule service award auditions.
The Dixie Darlings
The Dixie Darlings clinics are scheduled for:
- January 25, 2020 | Payne Center | 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. | Register at the Door | $30 Fee
- February 23, 2020 | Payne Center | 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. | Register at the Door | $30 Fee
The Dixie Darlings auditions
- March 28, 2020 | Payne Center
- April 25, 2020 | Payne Center
- Registration begins at 9 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. | No fee
- All Dixie Darlings candidates are asked to bring a headshot and any recommendation letters to the auditions. You can also bring them to the clinics and they will be placed with your application until auditions.
- The headshot needs to be similar to how you will look AT THE AUDITION.
- Photos do not need to be professionally done and can be printed on paper.
For more information on the Southern Miss Dixie Darlings, please contact their director:
Mrs. Tracy Smith at Tracy.M.SmithFREEMississippi
Dixie Darling Frequently Asked Questions:
Generally, we choose between 40-50 girls. However, we will place the cut at any number below 50, depending on the talent at the auditions.
Wear dance sneakers, jazz shoes or aerobic type sneakers, a tank, a leotard, a cami or fitted t-shirt and shorts or dance wear that you can stretch in. If you are wearing a loose fitting t-shirt, you may be asked to remove it so we can see body lines. Wear a leotard or a sports bra type top under your t-shirt. Make sure your outfit complements your body style and makes you stand out.
Auditions are closed to the public. There is a waiting area in the lobby of the Payne Center.
You will usually find out the day of the audition. However, there is always the possibility we will not announce the team until both auditions have been completed.