Students Will 'Huddle to Fight Hunger' Nov. 15-22 with Canned Food Drives
Fri, 11/12/2010 - 11:35am | By: David Tisdale
The University of Southern Mississippi's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and Office of Community Service Learning (OCSL) will host a series of canned goods collections Nov. 15-22 for the “Join the Huddle to Fight Hunger” campaign.
As part of the Conference-USA initiative to unite member institutions through community outreach, SAAC and OCSL are inviting all student groups and alumni to participate in this effort to fight hunger in our area. Local charitable organizations, including Christian Services and Edwards Street Fellowship Center, will benefit from this campaign.
The C-USA member institution collecting the most canned good donations (by weight) will be honored by the conference.
The“Join the Huddle to Fight Hunger” canned goods collection schedule is as follows:
- Monday - Friday, Nov. 15-19–Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to bring canned goods during business hours to the Office of Community Service Learning, located in The Hub, room 104.
- Wednesday, Nov. 17– Canned goods will be collected from 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the North Gate of Reed Green Coliseum at the Southern Miss vs. South Alabama men's basketball game.
- Thursday, Nov. 18– Bring canned goods to the African American Student Organization (AASO) Gospel Choir Concert at 7 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center, Ballrooms II and III.
- Saturday, Nov. 20 – Fans are asked to bring canned goods to the north corner of Pride Field from noon – 5 p.m. prior to the Southern Miss – University of Houston football game.
- Sunday, Nov. 21 – A canned goods collection will be held at the Lady Eagle vs. University of New Orleans basketball game from 1:30-3 p.m. at the North Gate of Reed Green Coliseum.
For more information, call Lauren Hillman at 601.266.5472 or Joshua Duplantis at 601. 266.6467.