USM Produces Record Number of Gilman Scholars for 2018
Wed, 10/24/2018 - 12:45pm | By: Van Arnold
Continuing its tradition of excellence, The University of Southern Mississippi has produced a record 13 Gilman scholars over the past year. This brings the University's total of Gilman Scholarships over the past three years to 29, far and away the state's leader in that prestigious category.
Gilman Scholars receive up to $5,000 to apply toward their study abroad or internship program costs with additional funding available for the study of a critical language overseas. The Gilman Scholarship supports American undergraduate students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad and, since 2001, has enabled more than 25,000 outstanding Americans of diverse backgrounds to engage in a meaningful educational experience abroad.
“With the Gilman Top Producers list, The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) recognizes U.S. higher education institutions which have generated the most Gilman scholars,” said Danielle Manasco, project director for Nationally Competitive Programs at USM. “Our total for the year of 13 scholars, plus three alternates, is once again a testament to the fine work produced by our students and faculty.”
The past year's winners from USM include the following (with classifications, hometowns, majors and current study program):
- Sara Bibbs, senior from Jackson, Miss., Child & Family Studies, British Studies
- Lisa Brackeen, senior from Fulton, Miss., Medical Allied Fields, Spanish in Spain
- Deiundra Clark, senior from Indianola, Miss., Public Health, Public Health Internship in Uganda
- Robert Lares, senior from Hattiesburg, Miss., History, British Studies
- Kaitlyn Skinner, senior from Ocean Springs, Miss., International Business, French in France
- Nathaniel Schumann, senior from Laurel, Miss., English & Public Relations, British Studies
- Candace Young, senior from Magee, Miss., Psychology, Spanish in Spain
- Raven Ferguson, junior from Monticello, Miss., Biology, University of Exeter International Exchange Program
- Tia Wilson, sophomore from Greenwood, Miss., Engineering, University of Exeter International Exchange Program
- Carlie Dillon, senior from Covington, Miss., Arts, Semester at Swansea University (U.K.)
- Tyler Pittman, junior from Hattiesburg, Miss., French Languages and Literatures, ISTI-Belgium
- Erik Cebrian, freshman from Houston, Texas, Library Science, British Studies
- Kendra Kitchens, junior from Laurel, Miss., Political Science, Christianity and Law in Rome
- Kayla Galle, senior from Pass Christian, Miss., Mass Communication and Journalism
- Shundrell McMullan, senior from Jackson, Miss., Psychology, British Studies
- Steven Anderson, senior from Richland, Miss., History, Semester Study Abroad in Kyoto
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is named for the late U.S. Congressman who served in the House of Representatives for 30 years and chaired the House Foreign Relations Committee.
For more information about how to apply for the Gilman Scholarship and other nationally competitive awards, call 601.266.4533 or visit: https://www.usm.edu/honors/office-nationally-competitive-awards