Skip navigation

School of Social Science and Global Studies

Non-Degree Enrollment

Page Content

Degree-seeking students in the MATL have priority enrollment in our courses, but we often have room for non-degree graduate students. In order to register for any graduate course, non-degree students must apply to the university with the Graduate School online application and have the permission of the graduate director and the professor offering the course. If you have questions about the process of applying to the university as a non-degree student, please call the Graduate School at (601) 266-5137. Once you are admitted, contact the graduate director in order to be able to enroll in courses each semester.

If you do not have a degree in Spanish or French, then you would need to qualify for graduate-level courses in those languages by either taking more courses at the undergraduate level (typically the equivalent of 30 credit hours), or by taking the Official ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and scoring in the Advanced range (click here for more information about the ACTFL OPI). A copy of the test results must be sent to World Languages. If you plan to take courses in the TESOL program as a non-degree student and are an international student, you must submit a TOEFL score (see admission requirements for international students on this site for test score range).

All students seeking the ESL Endorsement as certified by the Mississippi Department of Education enroll as non-degree students.

If you are interested in transitioning into the degree program, no more than nine (9) credit hours earned while classified as a non-degree graduate student are accepted toward the degree. A student must, therefore, gain conditional or regular admission before completing more than nine (9) credit hours of study for additional hours to be counted. It is possible to begin studies as a non-degree student and then gain admission to the program during that initial semester; course work for that semester would then be considered degree work even though it was begun in non-degree status. It is therefore most advisable to gain admission to the program in order to have a maximum of six (6) hours of transfer credit. If one finishes the first semester still in non-degree status, restrictions may be placed on the number of transfer hours that can be applied to the MATL.