Skip navigation

School of Speech and Hearing Science


J.B. George Building
The J.B. George Building

The Early Years

Speech and Hearing Sciences at Southern Miss has a tradition that started more than half a century ago. In the early 1950s, speech therapists trained in the Division of Speech Arts at Mississippi Southern College [which became The University of Southern Mississippi in 1962]. The Speech and Hearing Clinic was established in 1954, and, in 1958, the department began offering the master of science. By 1961, the term "speech therapy" was replaced by "speech pathology," and the department began offering different courses of study for speech pathology and audiology.

Children's Center entrance
The Children's Center

The DuBard School for Language Disorders was created in 1962 [originally known as the "School for Deaf and Aphasic Children," then later as "The School for Children with Language Disorders"]. The Education of the Deaf program began in 1966 and was accredited by the Council on Education of the Deaf (CED) in 1995.

In 1971, the department first received accreditation from our national organization, then known as the American Speech and Hearing Association. We currently maintain accreditation through the "Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association."

DuBard School
The DuBard School

Prior to 1976, classes were held in a number of academic buildings on campus, including the George Hurst building and Honor House [now the Alumni House]. In 1976, the Speech, Reading and Special Education Building (SRS) [commonly referred to as the "Speech and Hearing Building"] was completed, and all departmental functions owere consolidated into one location. In 1974, the Preschool Language Program [now known as "The Children's Center for Communication and Development"] was created, serving preschool children from all over the southern part of the state.

Through the eighties and nineties, the department continued to provide quality services through its clinics and schools while preparing hundreds of speech-language pathologists, audiologists and educators of the deaf.

100 year logo

The New Millennium

In 2003, The DuBard School moved into The Kelly Gene Cook Building. The Children's Center completed renovations to their newly acquired space in the SRS Building during the 2008 school year.

The new millennium also brought major changes to the department. We moved from the College to Liberal Arts to the newly established College of Health in 2004. Our first class of Au.D. students began their studies in 2005, and a new master's degree program in Early Oral Intervention was initiated in 2008. In 2012, the SRS Building was officially renamed the J.B. George Building.

Finally, The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences became The School of Speech and Hearing Sciences under the newly formed College of Nursing and Health Professions as part of the University's reorganization implemented on July 1, 2018.

Speech and Hearing Sciences graduates have served the citizens of Mississippi and the nation and have gained a reputation for competence, compassion and professional leadership. We continue to evolve and grow as we face the challenges of a new century. As a student in one of our programs, you are joining a respected chain of SHS alumni. We welcome you and extend our best wishes for academic and professional success!

Source: 1999 SHS Academic Handbook
Updated: 7/3/18

Early SHS History by Etoile DuBard (pdf)

Former and current faculty
*Years active: name *Years active: name *Years active: name
1956-70: Peters, R 1973-74: Albritton, E. 1996-__: Cloud, S.
1960-67: George, A. 1973-76: Fitch, J. 1998-13: Buisson, G.
1962-67: Grange, R. 1976-77: Elward, P. 1999-__: Muma, J.
1962-66: Creech, H. 1976-79: Fike, H. 2002-04: Bell, H.
1965-66: Gardner, J. 1976-82: McClelland, K. 2006-07: Harn, M.
1965-90: Dubard, E. 1976-87: Lehrer, N. 2006-07: Harn, W.
1966-67: Neff, B. 1977-81: Adams, L. 2007-13: Kemker, B.
1966-67: Tellejohn, P. 1977-81: Scanio, T. 2008-16: Boardman, L.
1968-69: Bateman, H. 1981-05: Saniga, R. 2009-__: Goshorn, E.
1968-69: Giles, M. 1981-82: Berry, K. 2009-__: Perigoe, C.
1968-69: Hudson, A. 1981-87: Bonnickson, K. 2009-16: Scott-Corie, J.
1968-69: Webb, H. 1982-__: Oshrin, S. 2011-__: Marx, C.
1968-72: Davis, J. 1982-09: Carlin, M. 2013-__: Paterson, M.
1968-72: Mahaffey, B. 1982-99: Bradley, D. 2013-__: Rosonet, A.
1968-73: Harris, J. 1983-84: Wicker, R. 2014-17: Bettagere, R.
1969-71: Jesse, D. 1984-__: Terrio, L. 2014-__: Ward, K.
1969-76: Winger, R. 1986-87: Lefever, C. 2015-__: Metz, K.
1970-71: Day, L. 1987-89: Holt, S. 2016-__: Biswas, A.
1970-72: Hammett, L. 1989-92: King, F.
1971-72: Crowley, D. 1990-91: Willbrand, M.
1971-73: Beckham, K. 1991-93: Brown, A.
1971-96: Rhodes, R. 1992-96: Benham, N.
1972-73: Feth, L. 1993-95: Roberts, E.
1972-75: Marshall, M. 1994-13: Berry, V.
1972-80: Thomas, R. 1995-07: Alexander, R.
1973-__: Schaub, M. 1995-11: Teller, H.

SHS chairs
*Years active: name *Years active: name *Years active: name
1965-67: Peters, R. 1982-89: Bradley, D. 2010-16: Cloud, S.
1968-72: Mahaffey, B. 1989-06: Oshrin, S. 2016-__: Goshorn, E.
1972-80: Rhodes, R. 2006-07: Harn, W.
1980-82: Thomas, R. 2007-10: Kemker, B.

Source: Southern miss undergraduate catalogs. *Academic years

Contact Us

School of Speech and Hearing Sciences

J.B. George Building 208
102 Kay James Drive
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Hattiesburg Campus 

Campus Map