The University of Southern Mississippi offers a wide range of academic options for undergraduate students.
EXPLORE over 140 Academic Programs.
LIVE in one of nine on-campus Residence Halls.
EXPERIENCE life in and around the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
ENJOY a quality education in one of the most affordable college towns in the U.S. (Great Value Colleges 2014).
Your Southern adventure is just an application away!
Strong Freshman applicants will present a 2.5 minimum GPA in core academic subjects. Freshman applicants must complete a required core curriculum of courses during their secondary school education to be admitted to the university. The basic core requirements are:
4 units of English
3 units of mathematics
3 units of sciences
3 units of social studies
2 units of advanced electives
1/2 unit of computer applications
It is understood that most foreign education systems do not follow the same core curriculum as taught in U.S. high schools. Therefore, each applicant will be evaluated on criteria particular to the educational system of the country in which they completed their studies.
Transfer applicants must complete a required core curriculum of courses during their previous college or university studies to be admitted to the university. The basic core requirements are
6 semester hours of English composition
3 semester hours of college algebra or higher mathematics
6 semester hours of science (must be laboratory-based)
9 semester hours of transferable electives
If you have not completed the curriculum requirements for transfer admission, you must also submit an official high school transcript showing the date of graduation. It may also be necessary for you to submit an ACT or SAT score. Each application will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants who have previously attended a college or university in the United States or abroad should apply as a transfer student. Transfer applicants should submit the following:
- $40 application fee
- Official copy of TOEFL or IELTS score from examining board
- Official high school transcript (or exam certificate) which indicates the date of graduation or completion of studies
- Official transcript(s) from all previous colleges or universities attended
Standardized tests are required for most applicants to any academic program at the graduate and undergraduate level. All applicants who are from countries other than the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, and certain Caribbean Islands, must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or meets one of the qualifying exceptions.
A minimum TOEFL score of 71 (IBT), 525 (PBT), or minimum IELTS score of 6.0 is required for undergraduate admission. Official scores are accepted directly from the testing agency. TOEFL ETS code: 1479, IELTS scores should be sent to the address below.
The University of Southern Mississippi
International Student and Scholar Services
118 College Drive, Box 5135
Hattiesburg, MS 39406
The TOEFL requirement may be waived if the student satisfies one of the following:
- Student has graduated from a high school in the U.S. with attendance in the 10th, 11th and 12th grades with a minimum grade of C in all of their English courses.
- Student has completed a secondary school in which English is the language of instruction, in a country where English is the native language (such as U.K., Canada, Australia), with a minimum grade equivalent to a C in all of their English courses and with attendance in the final three years offered.
- Student has completed a secondary international school (such as the International Baccalaureate, e.g., or an American high school abroad) in which English is the language of instruction, with a minimum grade equivalent to a C in all of their English courses and with attendance in the final three years offered.
- Student has attended the Southern Miss English Language Institute, has earned a Proficiency
1 or 2 on the ELI Proficiency battery, and has the recommendation of the ELI manager.
Student has an SAT verbal score of 500 or an ACT English score of 20.
The deadlines for filing international applications are as follows:
- Fall admission (August start date) – June 1
- Spring admission (January start date) – November 1
Applications must be received in the International Student and Scholar Services on or before the deadline date to be considered. Some departments have different deadlines for graduate applications. Graduate applicants should contact their major department for more information.
Students who have previously attended the university and have a break in attendance of one or more terms must file an application for readmission.
Readmission documents required include the following:
- Application for Readmission
- $60 readmission fee
- Official transcript from each institution attended since leaving Southern Miss
- Updated financial support information for issuance of the I-20 form