Why Study English?
The English major is applicable to just about any career, an excellent preparation for graduate and law schools, careers in education, publishing, and more. To study English is to engage in literary works, for the love of reading and analysis. By choosing from a wide selection of electives, the English major provides both critical and creative writing skills, while discussing a full range of themes, including environmental, gender, social, digital, and educational concerns.
USM English had 100% placement in English Licensure for the past 4 years!
What Will I Learn?
By design, the BA in English offers a comprehensive array of courses rooted in the conviction that the study of literature is critical to the development of reading, writing, and thinking skills – all of which are necessary beyond disciplinary study and are skills highly sought by employers in all professions. In addition, there are opportunities to explore and develop skills in:
- Creative Writing
- Critical Reading
- Discourse Analysis
- Professional Writing
- English Education
- Regular participation in Sigma Tau Delta Sponsored National Conference
- Annual participation and award winning Undergraduate Research Symposium - Eagles Scholars Program for Undergraduate Research
- Nelma and Marlin Ivey Business Administration and English Scholarship
- Shannon O'Hara and Henry Mackaman English Scholarship Endowment
- Mary Maude T. Jordan Scholarship Endowment
- Wilbur and Polly Stout English Scholarship Endowment
- Howard Wilson and Helen V. Bahr Scholarship Endowment
- Howard W. Bahr Achievement Scholarship Endowment
- Florence Burrow Pope Endowed Scholarship in English Literature
- Janet Sims English Scholarship Endowment
Visit the USM Foundation for more information.
The de Grummond Children's Literature Collection is one of North America's leading research centers in the field of children's literature. Although the Collection has many strengths, the main focus is on American and British children's literature, historical and contemporary. Founded in 1966 by Dr. Lena Y. de Grummond, the Collection holds the original manuscripts and illustrations of more than 1,300 authors and illustrators, as well as 180,000+ published books dating from 1530 to the present.
- British Studies Program, Summer in London, United Kingdom
- Château Program, Semester in France
Visit the Office of Study Abroad for more information.
- Business Administration
- Hope Herron, 2001
English BA, Senior Climate Change Specialist, Tetra Tech
- David Love, 2009
English Licensure BA, teacher at Wesson Attendance Center in Wesson, MS
- Katherine Currie, 2012
English BA, Attorney, Becker & Hebert, LLC Law Firm
- Vincent Price, 2008
English Licensure BA, recent PhD graduate in teacher education from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- Charles Dunphey, 2016
English BA, Editor-In-Chief, Gehenna & Hinnom Books
Carlton McGrone, 2019
Assistant to the Director, University Press of Mississippi