Political Science: Principles of Power
Politics shape every aspect of our lives. Political Science helps you understand how politics works, and how to influence it.
We examine the institutions of government, from the local to the international level. We also delve into the additional aspects of politics, including media, political parties, interest groups, religion, and the roles of women and minorities.
The major offers entrance into advanced study, practical politics, government work, and employment in the private sector.
What Will I Learn?
Students learn how to make sense of political processes in the United States and internationally:
- Use data to understand election results; analyze the political coalitions; and explain voter behavior.
- Understand how institutions and interest groups affect policy-making in areas like trade, health care, reproductive rights, and immigration.
- Learn to read, and develop, legal and political arguments related, for example, to civil rights and the scope of political authority.
- Develop critical thinking, writing, and oral communication skills applicable to a broad range of careers.
Within the context of a welcoming and supportive learning environment, faculty challenge students from a wide variety of perspectives. Their intellectual commitments, teaching styles, and research methods are varied, and they invite meaningful debate and discussion.
Faculty in Political Science are known for their dedication to teaching. They are committed to making sure that students have what they need to be successful, both in and beyond the classroom.
- Local, State, and National Government
- Political Campaigns and Political Advocacy
- Graduate School in Social Science
- Policy Analyst
- Law School and Legal Practice
- Political Consultant
- Jeffrey George, 2016
Ward 1 Representative, Hattiesburg City Council, Hattiesburg, MS.
- David Walley, 2014
Attorney at Pine Belt Land Title LLC, New Augusta, MS.
- John Duck, 1977
Attorney at Law, Adams and Reese LLP, New Orleans, LA
- J.D. Rimann, 2016
Campaign Manager, Mike Toth for Justice, Austin, TX.
- Chad Driskell, 1993
Vice President for External Affairs, The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
- Kendra Kitchens, 2019
West Coast Investment Assistant for Pete Buttigieg's Presidential Campaign, San Francisco, CA.