Network and Wireless Services
We provide services related to requests, activations, service changes and repairs. Services include: Virtual Private Network (VPN), wired access and wireless access.
Secure Internet access is provided to all university students, faculty and staff members. To access the Internet connection, all users will need a CampusID and password.
Southern Miss offers visitors two services to get connected to the wireless network.
- The USM Public network is made available to visitors who need temporary Internet access to improve their Southern Miss visit. This service is intended for websites and functions such as web-based e-mail, Southern Miss website and local restaurant searches. To display available locations, go to Public Wireless.
- The Guest Access network (charges apply) is a fully functional and faster Internet service. Departments hosting a visitor at the university may choose to fund the cost of the wireless for that visitor.
To request service
To Access Secure Wireless
- Faculty, staff and students will select "USM Help" to configure their device. Once completed, the "USM" wireless network will be accessible.
- For more information about wireless; students go to the student wireless page; faculty and staff go to the faculty and staff wireless page.
- Instructions for students on how to connect gaming or mobile device to the USM wireless network.
- Resident students only with gaming devices will use the USMMobile network and connect to SOAR to enter devices and MAC addresses for each device.
- Guest Access for visitors - For all single users, sign up for Guest Access. Guests will connect to the Guest Access network.
The Southern Miss network is available 24/7, except for scheduled maintenance periods.
Help Desk Assistance
Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Please note that wireless services will work on campus only.
For problems or issues, contact
Located in Cook Library 103
Phone Number: 601.266.HELP (4357)
Student access to the "USM" wireless network is included in the Student Technology Fee.
The Guest Access rate structure is in place for visitors to Southern Miss. This includes vendors, affiliates (using non-USM equipment), contractors and guests. Departments hosting a visitor at the university may choose to fund the cost of the wireless for that visitor.
$10 - 1-day Access (for 24 hours)
$15 - 3-day Access (up to 3 days)
$20 - 2-week Access (up to 14 days)
$35 - Monthly Access
Departments paying for visitors out of departmental funds, e-mail the request to Guest Access.