Southern Miss Partners for the Arts would like to announce its 2022 Emerging Artists Award to support students’ artistry, work, and professionalism.
Six monetary awards will be granted one in each of the arts disciplines, including art & design, creative writing, dance, media and entertainment arts, theater, and music. The award can be used to offset expenses for attending virtual or in-person festivals, conferences, or workshops, purchasing art supplies, application fees, and more! The award amount depends on our Partners for the Arts endowment spending allocation allocated for the year, typically around $200 each. The prize will also include a professional headshot photo session with a USM Image Center photographer.
The following are specific examples of how Emerging Artists can or have used the award to offset expenses (in-person or virtually):
· Participation in chamber music festivals
· Materials and supplies for thesis projects/art capstone exhibitions
· Travel to exhibit art at conferences and galleries
· Travel to present research at academic conferences
· Travel for participation in art or theater workshops
· Support for unique performances or exhibitions
· Support for the development of short film or recording projects
· Support for creative endeavors to publish novels and/or short stories
· Guild memberships
· Professional fees for headshots, applications, etc.
Both undergraduate and graduate students may apply. To be considered, the following materials need to be attached to the form:
❏ 1-page artist's statement
❏ Budget for use of funds
The Partners for the Arts Executive Committee will select the recipients by evaluating the applicant’s package, considering the student’s overall career goals and how this award supports the student in attaining those goals.
· Submission deadline is March 24, 2023.
· Award recipients will be notified in early April 2023.
If have any questions regarding the application, please contact Kate Smith at kate.smithFREEMississippi.