Partners for the Arts is an alliance between the Pine Belt community and the arts
at The University of Southern Mississippi.
➤ PROGRAM GOALS
Partners for the Arts (PFTA) was established to:
(1) support and enhance the arts at Southern Miss
(2) promote arts education for all ages
(3) support access to regional, national, and international arts events and artists
To be eligible, PFTA project applications must show consistency with the organizations’
purpose, program goals and must also:
- be submitted by faculty member(s) from the art and design, creative writing, dance,
entertainment industry, music, and/or theatre disciplines;
➤ PFTA WILL NOT FUND:
- programs or events in which an artist or artistic activity is not the primary focus
of the event;
- fundraising events;
- programs or events that are commercial in nature or in which the arts are not the
primary focus (e.g., sidewalk sales, food festivals, fireworks displays, etc.);
- programs or events that serve primarily a limited audience.
➤ EVALUATION CRITERIA
Applications will be reviewed by the PFTA Grants Committee and funded based on the
degree to which PFTA goals are met and the quality of the proposed project. Preference
will be given to faculty who are members of PFTA.
Indicators may include:
- Project enhances the students’ exposure/knowledge in the arts and the educational
- Project includes residency activities to enhance the audience’s understanding of the
- Project enables the event to reach a new audience/students and/or build on any previous
- Project includes the development of collaborative opportunities with other university/community
organizations, which maximize the event's impact to the community and reach larger
and more diverse student and community audiences. The inclusion of residency activities
and collaborations will significantly strengthen an application.
➤ GRANT AMOUNTS
PFTA’s grant program is made possible by the funding raised through memberships. Presenters
must demonstrate ability to cover the balance of artist fees and program costs.
Grant amounts depend on the number of proposals submitted, proposal rank (based on
the evaluation criteria), and the total PFTA funding request. Grants are typically
available for up to 50% - 75% of the total amount requested. In some instances, projects
are fully funded.
Sponsorship funds are to be used only for their designated purpose; if a sponsored
event is cancelled for any reason, the individual who submitted the proposal must
notify the Partners for the Arts coordinator of the cancellation. An alternative event
may be proposed by the individual and considered by the Grants Award Committee, but
if funding of the alternate event is declined, the individual must immediately return
the sponsorship funds.
➤ APPLICATION PROCESS
To be eligible, applications must be submitted by: Monday, February 3, 2020
➤ REQUIRED FORMAT
- Single-sided, 8.5" x 11" page
- Staple copies
- Include Page numbers
- All proposals must be sent to the Arts Leader and submitted to Partners for the Arts
by Monday, February 3, 2020.
- Material submitted must include: an electronic version (.pdf) and (3) physical copies.
- Application packets must include a cover letter/memo listing the proposals being submitted per discipline.
- Tip: For those submitting more than (2) applications, it is recommended to upload
all electronic versions to a Dropbox folder or One Drive. Then email cover letter
with link to the shared folder.