College of Business and Economic Development
Alumni and Friends
The College of Business and Economic Development (CBE) has multiple opportunities for alumni and friends to remain connected to Southern Miss. If business or personal travel brings you to either the Hattiesburg or to the Gulf Coast campus, please stop by!
The Partnership Society is the CBE alumni/friends organization. It was launched to establish and promote programs that strengthen ties among members, the business community, and the university. Funds donated to The Partnership Society through the Annual Fund will be used to meet needs that are not funded by state dollars.
At the CBE, we pride ourselves on the ability of our students to make immediate, significant contributions to their employers. This requires us to make sure our faculty and students have a continuous dialogue with business professionals. Several opportunities exist for our corporate partners to interact with the CBE:
- Inspired Leaders Series -- Each semester the College of Business and Economic Development invites industry leaders to campus to speak with students about industry issues, career preparation, and other relevant topics. These talks provide valuable opportunities for students to hear directly from professionals and for business leaders to positively impact the educational and career development of Southern Miss business students. Contact the Dean's Office at 601.266.4659 for more information.
- Student Internship Programs -- Working with the Career Services Office, we help businesses identify interested
students for significant learning opportunities.
Contact Career Services at 601.266.4153 for more information.
- Business Advisory Council-- The Business Advisory Council for the College of Business and Economic Development (CBE) is made up of outstanding business leaders from around the country who support the College and its efforts for national recognition as a top-ranked business school. Contact the Dean's Office at 601.266.4659 for more information.
There are as many giving opportunities at The University of Southern Mississippi as
there are avenues of interest for our alumni and friends. Southern Miss welcomes gifts
of all sizes. Unless you request anonymity, we will acknowledge your gift accordingly.
Here are some of the ways to give:
- Unrestricted Gifts — A gift without restrictions offers maximum flexibility, ensuring the general excellence of the University.
- Designated Gifts — You may designate a gift for a specific school, department, program, or scholarship.
- Gifts of Cash — Your outright gift of cash, either in full or on a pledge plan, will provide you with an income-tax deduction based on current tax laws and the amount of your income. Please make your check payable to The University of Southern Mississippi Foundation.
- Gifts for Endowment — Your endowed gift will provide Southern Miss with income every year in perpetuity. With a minimum contribution of $25,000 you may establish an endowment in the name of your choice, allowing the interest to be used annually.
- Gifts of Securities — An outright gift of appreciated stock eliminates any capital gains tax and allows you to claim an income-tax deduction based on the full market value of long-term securities, regardless of their original cost.
Matching Gifts Program
Your gift of any size can have an even greater impact if your company has a matching gift program. In some cases, your spouse's company may also match your gift.
Tuition covers only a portion of costs to educate today’s students. The Annual Fund for the College of Business helps to narrow the gap between the cost of providing an education of excellence and what tuition and state funds provide.
Donations have been critical to success in these three areas
- Scholarship and specialized enrichment programs for students
- Funding to “Partnership Professors” to support research and teaching needs
- Funds to install and maintain up to date technology in classrooms
The Eagle Suit Fund is a program to assist students with purchasing their first professional business outfits for interviews. Periodically, students are prompted to apply, and if selected, students will be given the opportunity to purchase items for their professional attire. Examples of these items are a suit, shoes, and appropriate accessories (tie, socks, etc.).
If you would like to give to the fund, you may make an online, tax-deductible donation through the USM Foundation at usmfoundation.com/eaglesuitfund.